1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Current fair price for used Oly 12-40?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by ScottGee1, Aug 8, 2014.

1. ScottGee1

ScottGee1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2014
    Motown!
    If this is the wrong forum for this question, please advise.

What's a fair price for a clean used Oly 12-40 f/2.8 without box or warranty from a private seller?

I keep reading about reburbs and Oly direct deals at <$700 but never see those.

TIA!/Scott

2. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    The used lenses I see that sell on ebay tend to sell for ~$690 to $775, with most of them clustering at $700-$740 depending upon how close to true mint they are, and how good a job the seller does in representing the condition. Keep in mind that the $639 Refurb price from Olympus also has sales tax, so that would be more like $690, and as you noted, those are tough to get.

3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I'd want to pay < $700 if I was buying a used 12-40. How much less depends on the details, I suppose. I see ebay deals closing for < $700, so a private seller who is avoiding the 10% fee should at least share half of that savings with you.

Oly has periodic sales (seems like 4 times a year or so) where they offer 20% off refurb pricing. So you can get a 12-40 for a nice price. The trouble is you won't really know when those sales are coming, and folks jump on items like the 12-40 immediately. So, you have to be very patient and stalk the Olympus site to have a good chance.

4. ScottGee1

ScottGee1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2014
    Motown!
    Doug, thanks for the quick and helpful reply.

Yeah, good deals are the opposite of 'fish that got away' stories. The price was this low/fish was that big!

I should have also asked how important warranty is for this lens. Obviously it's a 'PRO' model and as such should be reliable but that will also mean higher repair costs.

5. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Olympus standard Refurb price is $639 plus tax. So far, they've never made a reconditioned 12-40mm lens available during their 20% sales. But individually, they do give 5% promotions to folks (I currently hold an active 5% promo code for filling out a survey), so that would be somewhere in the upper $650s depending upon your tax rate as the best price available so far for this lens - other than used ones with some issues.

• Like Like x 1