1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Curious

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by swampduck, May 16, 2013.

1. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    Not sure if anyone else notices or it could be my imagination, but why does it seem there are so many FS/FT ads for the OMD? I look at the For Sale everyday and there are new ones being added daily. Are people not liking them, buyers remorse, getting ready for the next best thing(GAS)?

2. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    The answer is "D", All Of The Above.

:biggrin:

Regards,

Jim

3. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    SOS (Same Old Story). I think you hit it on the head about GAS. The newer better thing is on the horizon, lol.

It's a shame though since generally speaking a new camera doesn't improve one's photography. Keep the old camera and use the money for a trip to great location for photography, lol.

4. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I think it's probably folks who want the EP5 or the still imaginary EM6 and want to sell before the big rush pushes the prices down.

Or it could have something to do with the moon and planets.

Fred

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The OMD has been a HOT seller from what I can tell, so there are a lot of them out there, and there are new cameras to try, so that will make the used pool fairly sizeable. I see a number os sellers moving to Fuji (and a number coming back from Fuji!). Some others going FF. And some are going GH3, prepping for the Pen release, etc.

But I'll bet there aren't that many more than usual, however it seems that price of what people are willing to pay has dropped. What I've noticed is there are a growing pile of listings at a higher price point, but the lower price points are turning over quickly. So, the perception of a lot of OMDs for sale, is being magnified by people trying to cling to a higher price, and also some folks who had listed at a high price a month ago, re-listing after having pulled theirs off the market for a while

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    High demand in the retail market turned into high supply in the used market. :)

7. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I think the one thing you missed off that list is "too complicated" - now, this does not apply to everyone and I personally think it is a superb and versatile camera.

There are however, what appears to be a growing number of people who have purchased the OMD as it is the "King Pin" of the Oly line and there are those that always want the best. Unfortunately, there will always be a percentage of those buyers who want the best but with very simple functionality and certainly when I have spoken to some of the retailers I know, they seem to have a greater percentage of used cameras coming in from people who found the OMD too complicated and with functionality far beyond their needs.

It is obviously good for the market and Olympus as it allows expansion of their user base and users to purchase a great camera at a knock down price and often in near mint condition!

8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    +1

I have almost given up on handing my E-M5 to other folks to take pictures with. Even folks used to a standard entry-level DSLR seem easily overwhelmed by the dials, buttons and twinkly bits. Touchscreen shutter solves a lot of problems, but the response from non-photographers is definitely the urge to run away screaming.

It's a great little tool, but it's not a terribly user-friendly tool for a novice photographer or one not used to cameras with extensive manual controls.

9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The beauty of the Olympus line right now is that the E-M5, the E-PL5, and the E-PM2 have comparable IQ. Most of the time I'm a "fix the settings and shoot" guy. The only thing I tend to change on the fly is Exposure comp., focus point, and sometimes WB. I'm good with the E-PL5, but to be honest I also do just fine with the E-PM1. The only real temptation for me about the E-M5 is the 5 axis IS.