1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Curious... how well do you like your PEN F?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SRHEdD, Jul 9, 2016.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Looking but not buying, I'm thinking it'll be hard to beat my E-P5, but wondering how you real-life, non-reviewer users actually LIKE it and LIVE with it. More words than photos...

THANKS!!

2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Mines actually a Pen-FV however I love it, it's pretty small, light and the shutter sound is divine. Getting 72 shots on a roll is also awesome.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  3. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I knew that would be the first post... I just knew.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. zx7dave

zx7dave Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Honolulu
    Awesome camera. Bought 2. Using 12-35 on one and 35-100 on the other to replace my Nikon's for some of my lighter/daylight event shoots. Working well so far, added the RRS grip to both...but you will need extra batteries.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I had the EP5 and liked it but the built-in EVF really helps the F, especially when coupled with the ability to change the focus point with the other hand on the LCD. Of course, it's nicely made but also has most of the innards of the EM5 II like focus stacking. OTOH, the P5 is also capable of nearly identical images. I just find those images a bit easier to get with the F. Not in a hurry? Wait for an Olympus 20% sale on the refurb. It will be about $740.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  6. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I think that's my hesitation, I won't see a difference. I've just never felt comfortable slinging the E-P5 over my shoulder with that giant EVF perched on the top.

Good idea on the refurb. I'm a big fan of Oly's refurbs.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Hate it. Much better off getting an EM1

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. mario23

mario23 Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2014
    FL
    2 totally different cameras that in my opinion do not compare.
    I had an Em1 and enjoy my PenF way more! It depends on what your using it for and what style you like.
    I have much more fun with the PenF. I also discovered that I prefer the rangefinder style setup.
    Add to that with the same innards as the EM5II and its all good.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    This would be my daily carry everywhere, shoot everything, snapshot camera. I shoot with Sonys for work, A7ii mostly. Sometimes my Nikon DF if I know it is going to be low/available light.

10. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    So I am curious what you did not like about it? I keep thinking I would like to play with hi res mode and this body attracts me from a design perspective.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Hmmmm... just read about a Leica D-Lux 109. Same price, still m4/3, and NOT a new system. Just a self-contained hunk of aluminum with my kind of lens range.

12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Get the LX100. It's essentially the same camera for a lot cheaper.

13. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    From PC Mag:

"Panasonic includes its own Raw processing software with the LX100, but Leica opts to include a license for the full version of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5. That's worth $149.99 if you don't already own Lightroom or subscribe to Adobe Creative Cloud. That bridges the price gap between the cameras to about $150. If you have a repair need that's covered by the longer Leica warranty that wouldn't be covered in the first year that Panasonic covers, the Leica suddenly looks like a good proposition from a value perspective."

Not that I need another Lightroom license...

14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Sure, if that's worth it to you it does make the price much closer.

15. dalto

dalto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2016
    Texas
    At the moment there is a $400 difference in price between the two cameras. That is one expensive copy of LR.

16. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Pen F seems like a hard sell against the GX85 to me.

17. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I suspect they will sell a lot of GX85 because of the feature set and the price. It's a direct competitor to the F in all the major features. OTOH, those who really want the Pen F will pay the money, even if it's just for the appearance. We do that with cars, after all, and that's a much bigger overall cost. I'm hoping the Gx85 will bring the price of the Pen F down more quickly.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  18. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I love the Pen-F and it would serve exceptionally well in the roles that you have described. Some say it's pretty-much a "JPG" camera, but I don't think so at all. It happens to have some awesome JPG capability, but that doesn't mean it is any less a great general/RAW camera. I use mine for RAW capture, mostly. I also love the EP5, especially with the VF4. It's a bit ungainly with that bulky viewfinder, but in situations where that doesn't matter (like the studio), it is an awesome image making machine.

My favorite camera today is my GX8, with the Pen-F as a great companion body. GX85 is also an attractive option. At this point, I prefer rangefinder style cameras only.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    It is my second favorite camera behind the Nikon Df. I use them similarly(for daily carry and street) and appreciate them.

20. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I have a Df!! Was pondering last night to do just that, get the Df dirty and use it everyday instead of getting something else. I used it to shoot pics at a press event a couple of weeks ago, a dozen people asked me what it was and how OLD it was (mine is silver, and in a brown Gariz case). Shot the grand opening of a local brewery, and flash just didn't convey the mood. Threw on a 50/1.8G and shot away at ISO800 and it just excelled. Wait... real knobs and dials, and a 50/1.8... sounds like Photo I class at university!

• Like Like x 1