Curious Case of a PEN-minus Buttons

Bhupinder2002

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
:smile:

Thats correct Olympus PM1 .. Just handled this smallest pen but not very impressed .I was wondering how difficult or painful may be to change settings quickly . What baffles me the most is missing touch screen LCD. I understand that PM1 is the lowest PEN in the ladder but if Panny can give us a beautiful touch screen in GF3 then why not Oly?I think they have learnt at least one lesson from Apple - Touch screen is reserved for next edition Olympus PM1s
:confused::confused::confused::confused:

VinVin

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Kevin
:smile:

Thats correct Olympus PM1 .. Just handled this smallest pen but not very impressed .I was wondering how difficult or painful may be to change settings quickly . What baffles me the most is missing touch screen LCD. I understand that PM1 is the lowest PEN in the ladder but if Panny can give us a beautiful touch screen in GF3 then why not Oly?I think they have learnt at least one lesson from Apple - Touch screen is reserved for next edition Olympus PM1s
:confused::confused::confused::confused:

hmmm, yeah I don't have much experience with the E-PM1 but the lack of a touch screen as well as a lack of buttons is confusing for me. I figured it's generally either or. I think with SCP though controlling the camera isn't too big a problem but personally I prefer my buttons and dials XD The touch screens are nice but I don't really use the one on my E-P3 so yeah haha.

Mu-43 Legend
I've tried it at BB a number of times, and was so impressed, they are delivering one to my house today. It wouldn't be my main camera, but I found the controls fairly intutive for most basic operations (I'm mainly an 'A' mode shooter, so the mode dial isn't an issue for me).

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
The first few times I picked one up I was really confused until I realized that the Menu button should have been named the Mode button, lol. Thinking that way helped me find things so much easier.

That part actually made sense once I got used to it. Why do we need direct access to the menu settings all the time, which has been traditional with DSLRs for so many years? Replacing the Mode Dial with that little button saves a lot of space, and regulating the old Menu button to a secondary function works perfectly. When I'm changing menu settings, I'm prepared to go beyond the one-button access.
I also find this change to be better for durability, as the mode dial sitting on top of the camera is one of the "flimsier" parts of the camera. Of course that wasn't an issue with the recessed dial of the E-P1 and E-P2, but that style is now gone. I've already had the dial markings plate fall off, and the markings later get scratched off on my E-PL2. That archaic mode dial is just too much in the way.

I know I just went on a tangent about mode dials, but that change was seriously the one thing that had originally confused me about the E-PM1 layout, but it was quite clear after figuring that part out. ;) Naming the button Mode instead of Menu would have made more sense, as that is the primary function of the button now.

Bhupinder2002

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I've tried it at BB a number of times, and was so impressed, they are delivering one to my house today. It wouldn't be my main camera, but I found the controls fairly intutive for most basic operations (I'm mainly an 'A' mode shooter, so the mode dial isn't an issue for me).

OMG .. I don't believe this .. How many cameras u r gonna try? lol
Anyway I know its fun to try these lovely toys and they are indeed wonderful. I would expect Olympus to add tilting touch screen in NEXt PM1 .
Cheers

Bhupinder2002

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
:smile:Anyway how about a Clip on iPhone accessory . Leave the camera on tripod , see, compose and shoot via iPhone? I am thinking if Oly or a third company develops a bluetooth shutter release for PEN series , that will be very interesting. Just an other wishful thinking ..

Mu-43 Legend
OMG .. I don't believe this .. How many cameras u r gonna try? lol

Well now. That's not really a very polite question. I'm a little taken aback. Ummm, errrr. I don't see a problem with serial camera trying. Ah, ummmm... Did I mention I have another one inbound for Tuesday, and I'm still shopping a G3?

Here's the deal: As soon as they make the one that I need, I'll stop trying the others!!!

Bhupinder2002

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Well now. That's not really a very polite question. I'm a little taken aback. Ummm, errrr. I don't see a problem with serial camera trying. Ah, ummmm... Did I mention I have another one inbound for Tuesday, and I'm still shopping a G3?

Here's the deal: As soon as they make the one that I need, I'll stop trying the others!!!

I am also the same and try to get my hand on every possible body( camera I mean lol ) .Digital cameras are more expensive in Australia than US .So I used to get them from US .Play for a week or two and then sell them on ebay at same price . No profit no loss but just a bit fun .So don't get offended please. I can retract my question .. LOL

Mu-43 Legend
No, I was just joking

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

ripleys baby

Part time philistine
Real Name
Forgot
As the mode dial is perhaps the least used control on my camera (G3) it mostly stays on A. I think Olympus got it right.
All that is missing for me to buy ,is a higher res screen like the XZ- 1.

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
Well, those are the cameras they are essentially modeled after. The buyers spoke and told us that everybody wants a NEX, and that's what Olympus heard.

I do think the Olympus implementation is a lot better though. Even the E-PM1 has the Super Control Panel like all the others, and it still has al the hardware compatibility for all the accessories like hotshoe flash and EVF. It's simplified, but not limited.

Latest threads

Top Bottom