1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

CS4 can't open GF1 raw files.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Chuck Pike, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    I can't get CS4 to open my raw files from my GF1. I have to go to the software that came with my camera and covert to tiff files. I have a copy of LR 3 Beta, and it opens the files just fine. I am running XP professional and I guess when LR 3 does get issued I will order a copy. I have been using NX2 and working with these tiff files, but NX2 is just to slow and I am going to be moving more and more away from it. (I have not shot once with my Nikon D200 since the GF1 was delivered). Has anyone else had this problem and if so how were you able to solve it.

One more question for people using LR. Does it use plug-ins? I love the U-point software that comes with NX2 and would like to continue using that process with LR if possible.

photosbypike

2. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
  3. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    I did go and get the latest download for CS4. The download that you sent me to isn't compatible with CS4 and only will work with CS5 or later. My mistake was in buying CS4 when I knew that CS5 was coming out. Was afraid that they might not go back as far as CS2 for allowing an upgrade when CS5 was issued. Looks like I will just purchase LR and work with that. I have two DVD's that teach you how to use LR2. One teaches how to use the photo part of light room and the second teaches how to use the DAM part of light room. Who said that digital was easy, but it sure beats the wet darkroom.

4. Bill H

Bill H Mu-43 Rookie

May 6, 2010
    Santa Rosa, CA
    CS4 and GF1 Files

I can open GF1 raw files on Mac using CS4. Make sure you have the current plug in for camera raw. You need to have a plug in that recognizes the gf1,g1,gh1. raw format of panasonic. I don't remember if this was true or not, because I didn't have to use it that way. Try opening the file under the pull down memu "Open as camera raw" rather that just opening in CS4, something reminds me that this was a way of opening the file without the current plug in.
    I have just upgraded to CS5 and everything is fine from the get to. In addition CS5 has made a couple of great changes that make it worth the upgrade.

5. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    I used camera raw with CS4 to open my GF1 images. Just download the 5.7 from the bottom of the same page :)

6. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    Thank you very much, as "open in camera raw" worked. You are the first person who has come up with an answer that seems to have really worked. I went and did download the latest raw converter but it doesn't seem to work, I will go back and make sure that I have version 5.7.

7. DavidB

DavidB Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    In this case, just using CS4's internal "Check for updates" (on the Help menu) should have found, downloaded and installed the latest ACR plug-in (5.7) for your version. Also it should have installed bug-fixes and security-fixes for Bridge, Photoshop, and any other CS components on your machine at the same time.

If for some reason this doesn't work for you (the only time I've seen this fail and the user was connected to the internet, it turned out was related to their use of pirated software!) you can go to adobe.com, go to Downloads (look in the bar across the top of the site) and select "Camera Raw - <platform>" (or "Photoshop - <platform>"). That will let you download specific versions if you want them.