1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

CS2 or LR4

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by snkenai, Dec 31, 2012.

1. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    I have Adobe CS2 PS. Is there any compelling advantage, to get LR4? I do basic editing, re-size, crop, shadow/highlight, sharpen, etc. I have just begun playing with RAW.

I do nature and occasional family and church, candid stuff.

2. Blotzphoto

Blotzphoto Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    Cincinnati
    Lou Doench
    I use LR2 still, and I love it for cataloging and organizing. I haven't touched photoshop in years.

3. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I started using Lightroom with version 4 and have no experience with earlier versions of LR or Photoshop but my understanding is that Adobe implemented a major new rewrite of their RAW processing engine with LR4/ACR7 which provides significantly improved performance. One of those gains is in dynamic range.

Download the free trial and try it for a few days.

I swapped to LR4 from Aperture and I'm impressed with what I gained over what Aperture 3 currently offers.

4. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    The latest Adobe raw handling is only in LR4 and CS6. LR4 would be cheaper.

5. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Highlight and shadow Recovery very good in lr4.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Do you buy new cameras often, and use Camera RAW format? If so, then it's worth getting Lightroom because it is cheaper to upgrade for new hardware. If you use ACR then each new version of ACR will only work in so many versions of Photoshop before they require you to upgrade your entire Photoshop package before you can use the new ACR and read RAW format off your newer camera. If you shoot JPG then of course this is not an issue since JPG is completely backwards compatible... but if you shot JPG you probably wouldn't be asking this question. ;)

7. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    Except for special effects, I pretty much never touch PS anymore, I stick to LR4. I would recommend downloading a trial and checking it out.

8. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    I guess I'll stay with what I have, for now. I have the DNG converter for raw, and PS for final tweaking. I have had a long learning slope,and still cannot see over the hump of confidence. To spend more money, and begin at the bottom again, just don't seem practical or fun unless, there is a very real improvement in the ability to achieve better PP.

9. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    its a new year... be brave and get LR4... forget photoshop...it was never designed for photographers despite its name... you will get more out of your photos faster with LR... plus it will help organise your files and stop you having to keep track of all those big PS files.

If you are running CS2 you havent spent money on software for a long long time...maybe 6 or 7 years.... thats a longtime in the software world... treat yourself and enjoy

K

10. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Download lr4 and try it free for thirty days...but be prepared to buy it, cause you'll probably like it. I have cs 5, and much prefer LR for 95% of the work I do.

11. I used my 30 day free trial as an opportunity to experiment and learn how to use LR4 at no cost. I watched some of the Adobe videos when I couldn't work out how to do something and learned some other tricks besides. At the end of the 30 days I gladly paid for the license. I've since used LR4 to go back and reprocess older images so I could use the better CA removal and shadow/highlight recovery. The other thing that LR4 is useful for is file management and cataloging.

12. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Photoshop Elements 11 has more capability than CS2 did, and uses the same ACR as LR.

Since you are more comfortable with a CS workflow, I would recommend Elements over LR. (Elements also does the cataloging, etc that everyone seems to think is only available in LR)

13. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Actually, LR isn't all that different from the ACR and Bridge that are bundled with PS. Think of Bridge with a tightly integrated ACR, add printing and export functions and you have the basic structure of LR. LR4's "Develop" module is a major improvement over the CS2 vintage ACR but isn't enough different give it a steep learning curve.

LR integrates with PS, even the older versions, well making it easy to use LR as a "super ACR" for RAW conversion and basic adjustments. Its then easy to have LR push the file to PS for further editing and the newly edited PS version will be automatically added to the LR library.

Not to long ago I "replaced" Bridge and ACR with LR3 (my antique system needs to be replaced before I can make the advance to Lr4). I still use PS CS4 (again, I need new hardware before upgrades) and find the combination very functional.