1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Crush the composition

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Chrisnmn, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    If you havent seen it do yourself and photography a favor... I think this is a brilliant lecture that goes way beyond cameras and technical stuff

http://youtu.be/FpHMuK7Htic

What do you guys think?

• Like Like x 9
  2. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I saw this video earlier. I like how he quickly goes through some composition. My take home message is; keep taking photos from different view points, until you get something interesting. Then post process to make it better.

3. Lisandra

Lisandra Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Great lecture.

4. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Good presentation, I enjoyed Scott's Digital Photography volumes and I think much of this content is in there. Nice to see it in a video format with some examples too. Lots of good advice!

5. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I think the most important bit of advice in this presentation (and most difficult to follow) is the part about being a good editor of your own photographs. I struggle to narrow down my photos to just the best of my work for posting to 500px as my "portfolio", and even then find it difficult sometimes to pare it down as much as I should be.

Participating in the "your best 3 shots of 2012" thread here was a great exercise in more ruthless editing :smile: Now if I could just bring myself to do that all the time!

6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I went to take a quick look at the link - ended up watching the entire video. This really is excellent. :2thumbs:

7. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Im glad you guys are liking it, i loved it. Tons of great tips and advice on how to "think" your shots. we all can learn for a lecture like this!.

8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I also got sucked in. Lots of good stuff, but I really enjoyed the shots of his assistant Brad. Sometimes you just need a better subject.

9. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    Just got round to watching this, great video, thanks!

10. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    This could take me out of a stale period. Very insightful!

11. rossi46

rossi46 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2012
    Wow,....by looking at all the responses here, I guess it is a must watch video. Will definitely be watching it tonight when I get back home.

12. rossi46

rossi46 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2012
    That was a nice and entertaining video...thanks for sharing.

I especially love the Taj Mahal part,...makes lots of sense.
    I have read alot in internets, which says the same thing, walk around, look for best angle, explore,...explore ...explore so that you image is different from others.
    What Scott Kelby did was actually capture "the process" with real life examples,...so that is definitely very valuable watch.

And the one good point he made that I like is,...if you sense some photographic opportunity, yet never been able to get the type of shot you want,...keep trying,..because it means there is something special there to draw your attention in the first place

I like Scott Kelby, he is a well known "huge trainer",...nice tutorials,...very entertaining guy..and he makes sense,...even though he does sort of criticize some authors,...he does it in a respectable and nice manner. Unlike some blokes out there on the internet trying to gain popularity by keep on bashing down the industry,...putting down other people,...

Some of the blokes are extremely good writers with strong English,...professor like explanations,....but biggest problem is that while they wrote very strongly about photos,...their own portfolios is the opposite of what they keep on championing about in their written articles.

Just my humble 2 cents.