1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Crumpler Kashgar Outpost

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by NoTan2, Apr 4, 2014.

1. NoTan2

NoTan2 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    Newcastle NSW Australia
    Paul
    I've been agonising over a bag choice for some upcoming travel. I'm planning to take an EM-5 and 4 perhaps 5 small lenses.

Unfortunately, choices are pretty limited here in Australia. I've looked at a Think Tank Retro which are easy to obtain and, of course, plenty of the cheaper Lowepros. I can't find many Domke's and, of those, none of the available models interest me.

I like the look of the Tenba Messenger Mini but nobody seems to stock them locally and both Tenba and Amazon refuse to ship to Australia. Curious way to do business...

I'm heading down to the football next weekend so I'll drop in to the Crumpler store in Sydney and look at some bags. I'm curious to know why there is so little online interest in the Kashgar Outpost? No reviews and almost zero comment. One of the members here has one and he told me that he was happy with it but that's all I can find. Plenty of info on their other models such as the xMDH.

After hours of research, I can see that manufacturers have a conflict between offering convenient access to your gear and keeping it secure. It seems that some of the places I intend to visit are well stocked with pickpockets and bag-snatchers and this tends to make me favour the style of the Kashgar which has a full width zip as well as a flap with clips (but no Velcro). But of course, the downside to that is the possibility that the zip will fail. The messenger style bags such as Tenba and TT Retro don't have this feature but, then, most of the pictures show the sides flopping outwards leaving a gap for rain and sticky fingers to get in.

Discounting personal preference, am I missing some obvious flaw with the Kashgar? (If there were, I would assume that people would talk about it online.) Perhaps I should just be happy to be supporting an Aussie company. :smile:

Thanks,
    Paul.

2. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    Don't really hear much about Crumpler at all. I normally go into the store with all my gear and see what fits. If it's comfy, I walk away with it.

Haven't focused on the Outpost range, but looking at the photos on the site the Cobram looks better (but is also $90 dearer).

How much gear are you loading up? As a grab-and-go, I'm using a Mild Enthusiast (large) to carry an E-M1 with my 12-40PRO attached; FL-600 flash; 17/1.8 and 75/1.8 (all with hoods). That's in the main compartment, along with some cleaning tools and accessories. In the back pocket I can fit an iPad but don't usually have need for carrying it. And the front? Not tried yet, but think I could slot my tripod in the cross-shaped strappy bits.

3. NoTan2

NoTan2 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    Newcastle NSW Australia
    Paul
    That's interesting. I just skipped over the Enthusiast because the photos make it look smaller than it is. I'll have a look at it.

I use backpacks for my Nikons but decided they were too big to take travelling (and that's the reason I suddenly find myself investing in m 4/3.) Shoulder bags looked the way to go, but I never considered sling bags. Thanks for the advice. Cobram looks a bit big and it's half the price of a nice prime.

Oh, gear will be an EM-5, kit zooms, and likely Oly 9-18, 25 f1.8 and possibly a Sigma 60mm. (And the usual accessories).

4. andix

andix Mu-43 Regular

Jun 16, 2012
    If you're really worried about pickpockets you don't need a Crumpler. You need a PacSafe.

5. NoTan2

NoTan2 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    Newcastle NSW Australia
    Paul
    :smile::smile:

Exactly what my wife's been saying - "Just go and buy a bag."

You're both right, of course.

6. andix

andix Mu-43 Regular

Jun 16, 2012
    Try telling her "Just go and buy a purse", see what she has to say. But then again, if you end up with Panda eyes don't blame it on me. :biggrin:

7. NoTan2

NoTan2 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    Newcastle NSW Australia
    Paul
    Just to tidy up the thread...

I never did get to look at a Kashgar. The good folks at B&H were happy to ship a Tenba Messenger Mini to Australia. It arrived on my door in a surprisingly short 3 days and even with the freight costs and the weak Aussie dollar, it only cost me about $10 more than the Crumpler bag.

Haven't really had a chance to play with it yet but it is quite stylish (at least compared to my old beaten-up Lowepros and to the Kashgar which has a "military" feel about it.). It is a bit smaller than I thought it might be but then I was worried that it might be too big so it worked out well.

I only ordered a Sigma 60mm yesterday so until I can build up a lens collection for the OMD, I'll have to pick out some of my smaller (** gasp **) Nikkors to see how some gear might fit in the bag. (There's an adaptor on the way for my 50mm f1.4D so it won't feel too out of place).

The gussets on the flap which I referred to in my earlier post naturally fold inwards so I can't see any issues with that after all.

Even my wife likes it.