1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Crumpler Haven

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by ahendarman, Jun 21, 2012.

1. ahendarman

ahendarman Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I am thinking to get the Crumpler Haven small bag insert for my OM-D and three lens, 14mm 20mm and 45mm.
    Anyone has any experience with this? It seems like a good fit and a great idea.

2. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I just got one. it's a very well made baggy that can go inside any other. I find it's just a little too tall for the small m43 lenses. kind of wasted space really unless you stack them.

3. abl33

abl33 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Hi Steven, which size do you have? How much can you fit inside?
    Thanks!

4. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    That seems a little spendy for an insert (the crumpler name adds about 50% to their product value) - how about something like the tenba pro digital 2 photo insert? a bit bigger (could handle all your lenses, or use the 3rd compartment for something else...) but the top rated one at BHphoto (if you search "photo insert" then sort by top rated).

5. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    I have the haven and I used it during a recent camping trip. I had my GX1, 8mm, 12mm, 25mm and the EVF all stuffed inside. I kept the 12 on the GX1, as it's smaller in circumference than the other two lenses. the 8 and the 25 are positioned in the outer sections of the haven and the 12 which is affixed to the GX1 is in the middle section. I'm a big fan of the haven as I can pack into either my messenger bag or back pack.

6. thisisanton

thisisanton Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have a medium Crumpler Haven, and I like it a lot. It is a bit tall for an m43 camera, but it's not a big deal. I can fit my OM-D, 12, 45, 12-50 lens and still have room to spare. Could probably fit another lens if I stack them. I was debating about getting a small, but I wasn't sure. The size difference between a small and a medium wasn't a big difference. And I'd rather have extra space, just in case. Fits perfectly in my backpack, with tons of room to spare.

7. thinkcooper

thinkcooper Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 29, 2011
    Between Mrs. Thinkcooper and I, we have three havens (2S, 1M) that we use for a variety of occasions. My MTB backpack, my computer bag, and in several messenger bags. They are well made, with pockets up front for small stuff like cards and batteries, and easy to stuff into whatever bag is joining us on a trip or adventure.

8. 6x6

6x6 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2011
  9. agwe

agwe Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2011
    Manila, Philippines
    I use a Medium for my GF1, P20mm, Yongnuo 460 Flash and an adapted MIRB 37mm f2.8. Alternates seeing time in my messenger bag and laptop backpack. Still have some room to spare and the organizing elastic webbing on the outside is quite useful for accessories.

10. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I have the smallest one. I don't usually carry many lenses with me. I just needed something relatively secure to put into a regular messenger bag to keep stuff safe. I have there a camera (GX1) and one other lens. there are 2 separators to make 3 compartments. once you have a camera in there, I don't really see much room for more than 1 more decent sized compartment that is easy to access without too much care. So I took one separator out, leaving me with 2 compartments.
    If you want to carry more stuff with you a bigger size would be better.

11. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    I just ordered a medium size Crumpler Haven. Will report back when I get it! This will fit my Olympus OM-D, 12-50mm, 14mm and later on 9-18mm, 40-150mm, 25mm. I think stacking them in pouches would be fine.

12. ahendarman

ahendarman Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I finally got the small size Crumpler Haven. It's a bit smaller than I thought but it fits my OM-D with 20mm attached and plenty of room for the 45mm and 14mm. I use the side pouch for spare battery and memory card. The whole setup fits nicely into my messenger bag.

i-RfbWLSr-M. i-Q4zJ5n8-M.

13. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    The medium Crumpler Haven arrived. I don't know if I should trade down to a small right now. ahendarman, can you please post some photos with the OM-D fitting when mounted with a zoom?

Here's what my fitting looks like:

OM-D with 12-50mm, flaps down
    NHavXl.

14mm in one of the corners, the flaps are sturdy enough to hold the camera even if it's not filled to the top. The flaps are almost exactly the length of the 12-50mm with front and rear caps on.
    hLMrSl.

14mm stacked on top of the 12-50mm, can't fold the flap
    IXZ9Bl.

As you can see, there's a bit of clearance when I put the OM-D facing down with a zoom. It's not quite two fingers' width, a bit less than 2 cm? I know the small is 2 cm less in depth. Any photos would help.

Sorry, I only had the iPhone at my disposal taking these.

14. ahendarman

ahendarman Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Agoura Hills, CA
    The only zoom I have is the Oly 40-150 which I can fit together with the PL25, Lumix 14 and OM-D clip on flash in the small Crumpler Haven. It'll also fit if I have the PL25 mounted and the 40-150 on the side. They are tight fit, but I like how compact it is.

i-X2dK45m-L.

i-43bj9jb-L.

• Like Like x 2
  15. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    I ended up returning my medium sized Crumpler Haven and got the Lowepro Apex 110 AW instead. It's not pretty, but it's shorter in height, and actually fit in more bags.

16. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Sorry to drag up an old thread. I am interested in the Haven, because I prefer to carry a beat up standard bag on the streets than anything that looks like a camera bag.

I just can't figure out which is best Haven Small or Medium…for the following kit.

OM-D with Grip (that is the important bit) with 14mm attached and a 45mm & 25mm.

Looks like that small might fit an OM-D without grip but be slightly too small with the grip? ahendarman's picture above shows plenty of extra space if a grip was attached, but I am not clear if that photo is the small or the medium?

Thanks

17. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I have the small but do not have the grip. My guess is that the small would be too tight with the grip. FWIW - I use the small with only one of the dividers and stack two lenses in the extra compartment. The "tall" part of the insert, is soft and squishes down nicely when the insert is in a bag.

18. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Thank you, yes I think the medium sounds like its the better option.

19. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    I have the small. Definitely go for the medium if you're using omd with grip. I find myself wishing the small had just a touch more wiggle room - especially if you're carrying extra lenses + hoods. Lenses like the oly 12-50, 40-150, or Pan 14-45 get tough to fit in small size.

20. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    I bought a medium recently to go with my small, b/c I wanted to have the grip attached. The small is too tight with even half the grip attached, the medium easily accommodates the half grip but I haven't tried it with the full grip yet. Some of larger lens (i.e. 75, 7-14) also fit better in a medium that a small.