1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Crumpler Haven large pouch

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by rklepper, Sep 22, 2013.

1. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Does anyone have this pouch? I want something to carry my GH3 with 12-35 attached and my 35-100 and flash. Will this fit that?

Thanks

2. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

I don't own the same gear as you but here's a pic of my 7D/15-85 IS USM and 430EX Speedlite in inside the large Haven. There's plenty of room for another zoom or prime. So I suspect all your stuff will fit. I use the medium Haven for my E-P3 with VF-4 and a couple lenses.

Crumpler_3655sign.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Looks like it would easily fit. The GH3 is significantly smaller than the 7D.

How is the quality? I have a mountain smith and the quality sucks.

4. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I have the Mountainsmith and prefer it to the Crumpler. What do you not like about it?

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  5. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

I own several inserts I use in my messenger bags: two Crumpler, one Tenba and one Timbuk2. The Crumplers are the nicest in terms of design, appearance and quality of materials. The interior is ultra soft but the dividers are rigid (instead of foam) and covered with soft cloth. I prefer the rigid dividers since they can support a heavy camera stowed lens down. The dividers in the Tenba and Timbuk2 inserts bend and nearly collapse under the weight of a DSLR. I also like the draw string top for when you need to stow the works in a suitcase or daypack. When in my messenger, I fold the top into a cuff for easy access. Of course, extra quality does come at a premium...

Here's the outside view of my large Crumpler:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    The build is extremely cheap to me.

7. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Thanks for the advice, I truly appreciate it. I ordered the Crumpler. My intention is to use it in my Osprey backpack when I travel on business. Not much time for photos, but every once in a while an opportunity. Don't travel with too much, just the GH3, 12-35, 35-100 and a flash. Usually a couple of filters also.

8. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    That's funny. I found the quality to be on par with, or better than, the Crumpler. And, as stated above, the Crumpler inserts are very thin and rigid, like padded cardboard. My personal preference is for softer dividers, but that is a preference. I hope the Crumpler insert works out for you.

--Ken

9. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Padded cardboard? I'm pretty sure it's cloth covered plastic. And thin is better as it affords more space in the compartment. Being rigid is the main attraction as they give the insert shape and can support the weight of a heavy DSLR without collapsing. The foam dividers in every bag I've owned failed the DSLR with lens down test, ending up basically squished. However, if you use the dividers as mere dividers--and not pillars to support a lens down camera--foam dividers are fine.

10. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I am hoping that the divider is made of something durable like plastic, but as it feels so thin, it did not seem unreasonable to assume that a heavy-duty cardboard material could possibly have been used. For the way that you are using your dividers, I can understand why you want them to be rigid. Since I do not use them as pillars, I prefer them to be a bit more flexible. It's great that we have choices to meet our individual needs. And for the record, I have no issues with the construction of Crumpler's inserts. Unfortunately, they just do not meet my needs.

--Ken

11. blitzvitz

blitzvitz Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 21, 2013
    Manila, Philippines
    Jourdan Fernandez
    Here is my Haven L (pardon the camphone quality)

CrumplerHaven_zpsc511cbe5.

On the left is my 9-18 w/hood and below is my HD 14-140 v1 w/hood reversed. The width is fat enough to lay the 14-140 on its side

On the middle is my GH2 + 20 1.7 and on the right is my 60/2.8 Macro

I don't like the dividers as well, IMO they are just cardboard with felt like cloth cover, not the usual cushion foam dividers I see with my other bags

Attached Files: