Crumbling Town In Oregon

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
I went for a walk the other day in a tiny town near me called Myrtle Point, and it was interesting. Small towns in this part of Oregon are mostly crumbling apart, which makes them rather sad places to live (especially with the amount of rain and cloudy weather we get here), but good sources for photos. I only had about an hour, so there were several spots I wasn't able to get to, and I'd like to go back eventually. Out of the dozen or so photos I got, I like four of them.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P1060532 copy by lakonian117, on Flickr

There are a lot of (closed) auto repair shops that look like they haven't been open in quite awhile. I wonder who's paying the taxes for those buildings?

P1060533 copy by lakonian117, on Flickr

There are occasionally some strange types in these old towns, but if the employees of this old building can access that entrance, that takes the cake...

P1060543 copy by lakonian117, on Flickr

Ring bell for service sort of thing? I don't think I've seen that type of bell before, but at least I know what to do with it.

P1060553 copy by lakonian117, on Flickr

A lot of old churches in town, all in varying states of disrepair. I doubt they have large enough congregations based on the town's populations to keep the buildings looking saintly.

Processed these through PE8. Hopefully I will get another chance to go down that way, as there are many more interesting sights. I might even get the courage up to photograph some of the denizens, although I don't count that among one of my strong suits!

Real Name
Al
Thanks for an interesting and well-done series. Looks like employees working in the building in pic #2 had quite a challenge when entering through the "Employee Entrance Only" door.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
I went back for a second take; the sun was shining and it was unseasonably warm. It led me into more of an almost playful interpretation of the town, in opposition to the sort of dismal look of last time - I did find a few dismal photos, but the strength of the light didn't suit them.

P1310587 copy by lakonian117, on Flickr

P1310586 copy by lakonian117, on Flickr

For a Saturday, with lots of folks out and about (many of them noticed I had a camera, but I didn't get any funny looks. People here are about as good as anywhere else at studiously ignoring other people), there were a lot of closed shops. Most of them in the center of town didn't look like they'd been open for quite a while.

P1310561 copy by lakonian117, on Flickr

A much different redux of one of last time's.

P1310537 copy by lakonian117, on Flickr

A very small library, but it's well-kept. A day like today wasn't made for staying inside and reading, however.

P1310583 copy by lakonian117, on Flickr

P1310514 copy by lakonian117, on Flickr

Many of the old homes are relics of grandeur steadily decaying. Both of these were unoccupied, and had signs posted to deter trespassers. But nature has encroached a lot more in the second photo; the grounds around the house were definitely not kept up.

fsuscotphoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ron
The last one is the best. I love all the color, but I'm not a fan of straight on shots. That's just my preference though.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
I hear you, it's quite different from what I normally shoot. Can't say for sure what drew me to these straight shots, but I like that, to me at least, there is a kind of 'take me as you find me' to them that interests me, a guilelessness you might say. Appreciate you looking!

fsuscotphoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ron
Sometimes I'll go out for a while, then look at what I've taken, and wonder what in the world made me deviate so much from my normal style. Maybe it was the cigar!

lowlight

Mu-43 Regular
A great set of photos! and as mentioned above, the processing suits these images very well.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
Thanks guys! I especially appreciate the processing comments. I came from a straight PP mindset and so alternative processing is something I've sort of jumped into without knowing a lot about where to stop.

The town is still inhabited, it's at about 2400 people and hasn't varied too far from that number for a lot of decades. It's really like stepping into another world, although I'm used to it, living in such a rustic corner of Oregon.

Happenstance.ish

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Ace
I absolutely love the shot with the door and the bicycle bell. It's a prime example of perfect post-process that I'd think was too extreme if I was in the middle of editing, but is simply stunning.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom