Cruising around evilbay last night..............

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Iconindustries, May 31, 2010.

1. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer Charter Member

I was cruising around that well known site called evilbay last night. And i came across this camera called 'Nikon D40X'. Anyway for some reason i put a bid on it and this morning i found that i won it. So i have bought myself a Nikon D40X for 139 GPB. It's a 10.7 mega pixel job. Has anyone heard of this model or have used one before? I mainly put a bid on this because of the 18-55mm lens which i thought i may be able to put on my GF1. But with closer inspection of the images of the camera i looks like it doesn't have a focus ring.

So i was seeing whether any of you guys know if this is a good camera and whether i could use the lens (with an adapter) on my GF1.

thanks,

icon

2. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    yes , the orig d 40 was 6.1 mp it it was a fine machine and well reviewed , then canon came out with an entry level 10 mp machine that left nikon without an offering in that newly minted consumer slot , so they quickly responded with the 40x , to serve until they could roll out the d 60

thats alot of camera for the money

3. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    the lens can be used but you need a special adapter to get control of f stop

4. Stephen Geis

Stephen Geis Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    I have the Novoflex Nikon to m43 adapter which has a ring that will enable you to use that lens. The ring doesn't tell you the exact the f stop, but you can get a feel for a particular len's f-stops through some practice. I paid more than for other adapters (more than several lenses in my kit combined) but I wanted this flexibilty

5. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    The D40x had a very short life. It bacame the D60 with very little change.

It is a while since I have had a play with a Nikon AF lens but it should have a focus ring. What it probably won't have is an aperture ring. There are some adapters that may be able to provide a solution for that but I would think you may not really know what aperture you have set (i.e. it seems to just be a switch for open-close - no stop indents like a real aperture ring).

6. kwaphoto

kwaphoto Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
    Colorado, USA
    I had a D40 for a small system back in '07. It's a nice little kit, it's about the same as the D40x but the X has more MP (who cares?). The bad part of the X vs the plain 40 is that the original D40 has a 1/500th flash sync with the built-in for fill flash (EVERYTHING should have it! I hate the sync of the m4/3). The D40x and subsequent D60 was somewhere around 1/250. It's a fun little camera, I used it primarily with the Sigma 30 f/1.4 and the 18-55 kit lens.

7. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Icon

the 18 55 was the cheap kit lens but even so it is very highly rated (even Ken likes it) - it's been replaced by the VR version - (i.e. OS in M43 terms)
    As all have said it's AF with no aperture ring - the lens is maybe worth about £40/£50 in the UK - probably more out in Oz to a Nikon shooter

I'd use what you have bought as a DSLR and compare it will your M43 - you will be totally frustrated with that lens on your M43, even if you get the right adapter - but 6 mega pixels is enough for anyone - I have a Pentax K100D - 6 mega - images are very very good

8. Iconindustries

Thanks guys for your help in explaining about the lens. I am thinking now that i may as well just keep it on the camera itself.

Kwaphoto I emailed the guy and asked him to verify the model of the camera and he said it was a D40 and not the D40X. So he put down the wrong model in the ebay listing, maybe it sounds like the better model anyway. 6 megapixels should be plenty for me because i only print out 6x4's. Also i've done a little research on the D40 and found that it is excellent in low light due to a less amount of pixels in the same DX size VS the D40X which has more pixels in the DX size. And because of the less amount of pixels, each pixel can get more light.

9. richie15

richie15 Guest

I have owned this camera and its very good. Granted the DR is not great but the Nikon AF system is excellent. I would invest in a Nikon 55-200 VR, it blows the Panasonic 45-200 out of the water and on the D40x is superb.

10. Iconindustries

sounds good richie. What is the DR? I just checked on ebay and i can buy a new VR 55-200 lens for $189. Does that sound reasonable?

11. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Icon I'd be asking the seller for a discount for misrepresenting the camera. Even if your happy, it is still an older model and worth less. Maybe ask him for free postage :thumbup:. Still sounds like a good deal - have fun.

12. richie15

richie15 Guest

Not sure about $ but roughly £100 here. DR=dynamic range

13. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Icon

Nikon, DSLR and VR are all good

The cheaper Nikon AF lenses are also very good - 50mm 1.8, 28mm f2.8, 18-55. 18-70, the 70- 300 is really good as is the 55 200 as Richie says - Nikon zooms are better than the 45 200 - and you can go longer with Nikon - i.e. the lenses are available

At my level and experience - I still prefer my D300 to the M43 stuff in dedicated shooting situations - they can be a "bit of a hike" - but if you are going out with the intention of taking photos a DSLR is good

Not sure what MF Nikor lenses the D40 takes, (I'll look it up), but my D300 can take MF Nikkors way back to the 1960, post NAI to be safe.

14. Iconindustries

Thanks richie and Bill. I did a conversion and 100 pounds is roughly 160 Au dollars. So yeah, 189 is a bit more i but i'll wait till i get the camera and then make the decision. (I hope to have it by Tuesday) The camera comes with the 18-55 lens but it isn't VR.

Bill, would the D40 be better for sport and fast moving objects than the GF1? I know i really should wait till it comes:smile:
    I'll look into the other cheaper lenses you have listed and i probably will invest in getting a VR lens. It'd be silly these days to not use the 'anti shake' technology when it's there.

When you say that the Nikon zooms are better than the Panasonic 45-200, is that in sharpness or something else. What do you like about your nikon that m4/3 don't offer. (I've only ever used point and shoot, so the step up to m4/3 is fantastic -in itself)

I did a little research on the ability to connect the older lenses on the D40 and it will, but from what i read, it wont meter with them. You have to meter manually. Unlike the D200 and your D300 they will meter automatically.
    If i'm wrong please correct me.

15. Iconindustries

Well, after waiting for ages for the D40 to turn up I realised it wasn't gonna. I put a claim into Paypal and they reimbursed my money and found the seller turned rotten after such a good rating (makes you wonder why at 100 percent rating and then you'd just kill it all of a sudden and sell off stuff you don't even have. I was one of about 9 people who didn't receive anything)
    Any way because I was all psyched up at getting this Nikon and deep down I really wanted one so after bidding on heaps of other D40s they all went over the 400 dollar mark and I thought Nah. So I lifted my sights.
    I have in my hot little hands a Nikon D90. I got it brand new at 1000 bucks with a VR 18-105mm lens and received it in the mail in record time.

Whoa...... It's a good camera alright kinda blows the pants of my GF1 in low light. The viewfinder is a bit clearer than the GF1 one as well. It's pretty big though, but a nice size for a 20 year old who's head thinks he's a pro. That's just my head saying that tho!:smile:

Just a question about the battery. Does it every go flat?

When i get some more time I'll post a picture from it.

icon

16. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    It is a nice price with that lens in Oz. Well done. I was with a guy today shooting with a D90 and Sigma 10-20 zoom. Chunky camera but that combo makes an awsome wide angle kit. The new price of the D90 in Oz after cashback is around $1100 plus for the body only and $1600 plus for what you bought.