Crucial M500 240GB M500 SSD 109.99 Amazon

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by Amin Sabet, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Mr Hahn

Mr Hahn Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2010
    SLC, Utah
    Nate
    Today I put the 960GB M500 in my computer today. It's a late-2009 27" iMac with the 2.8ghz Intel i7 chip and 8gb of RAM.

Boot times went from taking 1min 55sec with the old hard-drive to a blazing 0min 19sec with the M500 installed! All of my programs, even the larger ones like Adobe Lightroom, open up almost immediately after I click on the icon. I can't believe how much improvement I got out simply replacing my old hard-drive with an SSD. This is a 5 year old computer and I was about to get rid of it before switching to an SSD gave it new life.

Next I'm going to max out the RAM at 32gb (specs say max is 16gb but it's been confirmed to accept 8gb chips in all four slots allowing 32gb) with faster 1333mhz chips. I think this machine has a few more years left in it after all.

• Like Like x 1
  3. andrehoban

andrehoban New to Mu-43

Mar 9, 2014
    Installed Windows 7 in under 10 minutes, boot times are under 8 seconds. Windows was able to see the SSD correctly for setting the defrag and trim settings automatically. Large programs like photoshop load in seconds[​IMG] :2thumbs:

4. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    Thanks to you, I was curious about whether I could max out my mid-2010 macbook pro to 16GB RAM (specs say 8, which I currently have)...and it turns out that my particular model CAN! Thanks, Nate! :)

5. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Their 480GB version was/is $210 on newegg I think after rebate? I saw that 3 days after I ordered my Samsung EVO 250, heh ($140, so not bad, and technically faster). But man.. 480GB main drive would be nice.

6. mpg01

mpg01 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    The pricing on SSD's are pretty good lately. This is a particularly nice deal. One thing to keep in mind is that when SSD's go, they go basically just blink out. So have a good back up system. This means having a bare metal of equivalent or larger size. I recommend using software that images the entire SSD so that you can just restore the full image to a fresh device and be back in business.

• Like Like x 1
  7. noohoggin1

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom

Good to know; what software would you recommend for the SSD backup?

8. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I'm using Acronis True Image for years. You will need to re-activate Windows if you restore to new drive.

• Like Like x 1
  9. noohoggin1

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    Ah, it's a Windows software? I have a Mac.. but thank you anyway for your info!

10. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    For Mac: Carbon Copy Cloner has always worked well for me if you're just cloning drive to drive.

I'm never going to buy a machine without an SSD system drive again. Physical drives for data storage is fine, but SSDs just yield so much performance improvement it's crazy...

11. mpg01

mpg01 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    I'm not familiar enough with Mac but I feel like there is probably a similar solution. Carbon Copy Cloner comes up first in a google search. Acronis is good. I use a free version of EaseUS Todo backup and while the name is funky, the product itself works just fine.

12. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    This is not entirely true. I literally just did this the other day (coincidentally with Acronis, heh) and Windows did not bug me. Though, I have had to call in once on a complete reinstall (nearly all new hardware). It was painless and automated.

13. Mr Hahn

Mr Hahn Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2010
    SLC, Utah
    Nate
    Time Machine (a built in function of OSX) also works very well if your a mac user. I run Time Machine with a 1tb external drive to keep everything backed up. I've done a complete restore on new hard drives twice now and it was perfect both times. I've also used it several times to either find a document I accidentally deleted, or to find an earlier version of a document that had been changed.