1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Crucial 960GB M500 SSD - $439 with Free Shipping at B&H

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I can still buy a ~256GB SSD main drive and a 2x2TB drives for that price =P But awesome to see near TB drives even exist. Hopefully this will be < $300 by summerish.

• Like Like x 1
  3. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    I ordered one from Adorama via ebay for the same price - I think BH was matching Adorama's price. Adorama had several great deals on SSDs, including a 500GB Samsung SSD for $270. For those wondering about the advantage of an SSD - my laptop boots up Windows 7 in 18 seconds - about as fast (or maybe even slightly faster) than my ipad. Well worth the investment.

4. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
  5. Chasmodai

Chasmodai Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    That is still crazy money for my weedy pocket. You must be rich!
    I expect this HD+SSD set up yeids the same performance as a 960Gb SSD if set up right. I can't fault my 120Gb SSD + 1TB HD. Although I guess laptops can't take benefit of this.

7. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I too see this as the beginning of the end. However, picking up a 3TB external for essentially $75 on BF means it will be a while before I get to this.

• Like Like x 1
  8. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Thanks for posting this. When I bought RAM a couple years back for my 2004 Gatway laptop. Yes I use that 8 lbs computer and its motherboard is maxed out at 2GB but surprisingly the single-core 2.2 Ghz processor is totally adequate for all of today's needs.

It was my understanding that Crucial was the best so I bought it and when they finally make that 15" all-aluminum body PC I'm going to buy it and probably swap the hard drive for a solid state one. I think 500 GB will suffice, however, so I might be paying less :)

By the time I buy a computer, however, it will mean my business has become as success. Right now I'm only 20% of the way there, but it will become exponentially easier. And on my list: the aforementioned $1200 laptop, $1000 12-40/2.8, and of course a brand new silver 75/1.8 with matching hood!

9. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Same performance depending on your needs... doing video work? 256GB might not cut it. But in LR, I did not notice a big difference w/ my photos on the SSD vs on the HDD. I have LR and the catalog on the SSD. But yeah, laptops users benefit the most right now.

10. tornado

tornado Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    I just ordered a 448GB SSD...was the largest capacity available for the microSATA format my ultrabook accepts. Luckily, it can take two mSATA's.

11. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

The beginning of the end has been around a few years already. I have SDD in both my Mac Pro and Mini for OS and apps. However, the SSD is still years away from affordably replacing my pile of 3 and 4TB drives I use for video, audio and image storage/backup. When you can buy a 4TB SSD for under $200 I'd say we've arrived.

12. nathan_h

nathan_h Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    Interesting. You may have just saved me some money.

I have lightroom and the catalog on my SSD but my photos are on a conventional internal drive. I get a beach ball when loading full res raw files on my Mac mini. I thought an SSD for photo storage would solve that...... It now I know otherwise.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

13. davidedric

davidedric Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    Cheshire, UK
    Dave
    It's even a sensible price, £378, in the UK. Currently have my Light room files and catalogue on a 256gb ssd (along with the os and programs of course). My plan was always to get a big ssd for Lightroom when they got cheap enough - sounds like we are nearly there :smile:

14. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Well, I should say I have an i5 2500k running at 4ghz. And I do standard preview on import. I'm fairly certainly any delay I have is mostly rendering. I should probably retest that theory with the latest LR. I should also add my 10GB cache is also on SSD... completely forgot I did that. But even going back to some old pictures from years back takes a few seconds to render at 100%. Photos are also on a 7200rpm drive.