Crossroads

woollyback

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rob
So here I am at the crossroads

Do I fully commit to Olympus or go back to canon??

I have the M1 with 12-40 if I commit I would need a wider angle 7-14 pinny or Olympus and a telephoto. I have just hired the 40-150 pro ( big mistake it's fab) and then there's the 75f1.8

So what's the issue? - one only focus tracking is rubbish, I can't seem to get any consistency.
I have tried airplanes 100% in focus, same settings birds <50% and various others anywhere in between.

I have tried all sorts of settings but it's not anymore reliable and it's just not working for me

Am I just expecting too much, is this me, the camera or a limitation of the system

Any thoughts?

Rob

Speedliner

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rob
E-m1 Mark 2 reviews should start showing up soon. I'd wait and see for now. It's focusing is supposed to be stellar.

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Both planes and large birds can easily be taken using S-AF and high speed. And it is possible to do this even with a handheld 300mm lens. S-AF is amazingly fast and accurate, give it a try.

But for fast moving objects coming towards you or away from you, you really need C-AF, and tracking helps too. For that you need the E-M1 II according to what Olympus claim. We just need to be patient and wait for some results from the finished cameras, to confirm it is as good as they say.

The Oly 7-14 pro is superb, you should try that too, I have had excellent results from it. I have read that the Pan 7-14 can produce purple blobs on Olympus cameras.

owczi

nareteV 34-uM
I have tried airplanes 100% in focus, same settings birds <50% and various others anywhere in between.
Planes tend to be more uniform, move more consistently and sometimes slower.

Both planes and large birds can easily be taken using S-AF and high speed. And it is possible to do this even with a handheld 300mm lens. S-AF is amazingly fast and accurate, give it a try.

But for fast moving objects coming towards you or away from you, you really need C-AF, and tracking helps too. For that you need the E-M1 II according to what Olympus claim. We just need to be patient and wait for some results from the finished cameras, to confirm it is as good as they say.

The Oly 7-14 pro is superb, you should try that too, I have had excellent results from it. I have read that the Pan 7-14 can produce purple blobs on Olympus cameras.

Tried C-AF tracking on the E-M1 a couple of times, it reminded me of compact cameras from mid-2000s, never used it apart from some test shots. I have done a lot of fast moving action with S-AF, hard work sometimes, but works perfectly well, and it is really fast.

I own the Lumix 7-14 - its small size is fantastic, but the effect of the infamous purple blobs on Olympus bodies can vary between a slight annoyance and completely ruining your shot. With just the sun you may survive, but take a dim scene lit with multiple bright light sources and you are screwed. It can be hacked using a somewhat obscure spare lens flange part fitted with a Wratten 2A filter gel cut to size, reportedly this helps.

OP - I would say wait for C-AF TR results from the upcoming E-M1 II reviews - however, I am not counting on a revolution in this matter. If they had really pulled it off, they would have been touting this as the main selling point already, and they are somewhat quiet about it. If they are still working on it before the release, it still does not sound too good to me. Either this, or it will be superb and they don't want to impact sales before the E-M1 II lands; I doubt it though.

zensu

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Bobby
Planes tend to be more uniform, move more consistently and sometimes slower.

Tried C-AF tracking on the E-M1 a couple of times, it reminded me of compact cameras from mid-2000s, never used it apart from some test shots. I have done a lot of fast moving action with S-AF, hard work sometimes, but works perfectly well, and it is really fast.

I own the Lumix 7-14 - its small size is fantastic, but the effect of the infamous purple blobs on Olympus bodies can vary between a slight annoyance and completely ruining your shot. With just the sun you may survive, but take a dim scene lit with multiple bright light sources and you are screwed. It can be hacked using a somewhat obscure spare lens flange part fitted with a Wratten 2A filter gel cut to size, reportedly this helps.

OP - I would say wait for C-AF TR results from the upcoming E-M1 II reviews - however, I am not counting on a revolution in this matter. If they had really pulled it off, they would have been touting this as the main selling point already, and they are somewhat quiet about it. If they are still working on it before the release, it still does not sound too good to me. Either this, or it will be superb and they don't want to impact sales before the E-M1 II lands; I doubt it though.

C-AF is currently the Achilles Heel of µ43's cameras in action photography, let us all hope the new AF system will be stellar.
Bobby

panamike

Mu-43 Legend
I would expect Olympus will have taken a leap forward,with my GX8 and 100-400 CAF is not bad at all so they know what they had to beat.

Matt Drown

Mu-43 Veteran
Wait for the M1-II and see. The 7-14 is a great lens.

You can attempt to pick things up on the used market so if you liquidate the delta cost would be lower, giving you the ability to "rent" for long term.

The Canon tracking is great, but also depends on the camera you had. The 5dm2 I ended up doing shots by pre-focusing, or single focus with back button rapidly. I wasn't shooting birds, more cars and people, which are considerably larger in the frame, so ymmv.

My forearm likes the olympus after a long day more though...

Latest threads

Top Bottom