Crossing the line.

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Livnius, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Going through some shots taken on my recent snowboarding trip I keep coming back to this one. I guess the action being portrayed defines what much of my snowboarding experience was all about. I do enjoy riding the resort... but there is nothing that compares to crossing that line into out of bounds terrain where one can find steep untracked pow lines even a week after a heavy fall....and long after the resort has been carved up.*

This is the first of 2 defining moments when riding backcountry....the second being when you have chosen your line and that magical moment when you drop in. But for me, this first is just as significant. I should know better, I have a decent job that pays well, I had knee surgery 4 years ago and have early onset arthritis in my hip....a bit of a downer for a young 37 year old....I really should pay more attention to all the safety and avalanche warnings en route to this terrain. But crossing that line always sent a tingle down my spine, my breathing would quicken and there would always be that knowing smile shared with the other lunatics doing the same.*

Beyond that line is where a riders paradise exists...but also, a riders potential demise. So we fill our packs with ropes, lanyards, probes, beacons, shovels, food, water packs and in my case, camera the very least we risk having our expensive lift passes confiscated by patrol, *worst case scenarios, well, that is something you try not to think about too much.*

But your reward is something other worldly....a feeling that for many a rider is a drug that you keep chasing for as long as our bodies allow us, or until sensibility finally kicks in :)

The smile you see on Frenchies face is why I love this shot...because I know why he is smiling, there is no Mona Lisa mystery here for me. That's why, this one that is meant to be crossed.*

Revelstoke. Beautiful British Columbia.*

GX1 + Oly9-18

• Like Like x 7
  2. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Amazing image with a difficult exposure. I bet those dreads make for great insulation up there!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Cheers Nic.

I don't know how he does it, that great big unruly mess is like an ice and snow net ! Come the end of the day enjoying some Après drinks in a warm bar he'd have water dripping off the dreds like a leaky tap.
  4. scottyboy

scottyboy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2011
    mercer county,OHIO
    most excellent !!!!