1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Crossfit - filming the opens

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by rt2photo, Mar 5, 2015.

1. rt2photo

rt2photo Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 12, 2014
    I've been filming the Crossfit opens at my local gym - I shot four of the five weekends in 2014, and am starting again this year. This weekend is our second workout, and I'll have a window of about two or three hours to film the members and participants go through a set workout that has three minutes of work (barbell work and pull up work) at a time - small opportunities.

What advice can the more experienced give on filming something like this?

I'll be shooting with an EM-1, couple of primes, I'll have a tripod and a fluid head with me also.

This was the result of last weekends workout

2. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    i'm not a filmmaker, and there are plenty of members here that are more experienced than me but what i found the most distracting was the choice of music (no offense) and the following of the quick movements with the camera (i kind of got the feeling the initial composition was inadequate so you had to compensate).
    Slow motion would work wonders here. Also, i'd maybe try to fill the frame and do more close-ups (gripping the bar, powdering the hands, exhaling, all the other subtle and not so subtle elements of the sport).

Apart from that, i'd have just one question? Are you trying to show a story regarding people, the entire group or the sport itself?

Again, i have absolutely no experience in filmmaking, but those were just my first impressions.

3. rt2photo

rt2photo Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 12, 2014
    Ramsey

Mostly, the story is of the group - the entire facilities membership coming together for this one workout (they're an annual - international series of workouts that every Crossfit gym competes in over a three day window) - the atmosphere is high energy, non-stop, loud.

This past weekends (the video), every athlete had four totally separate movements to go through, in a 15min window. 8 to 10 athletes at a time, five heats in the day. Next weekend, it's a bit simpler with just two movements - but the time frame could be as short as three minutes, with ten or more at a time.

It's entirely possible the initial composition isn't enough, I wing this with little background in video :) I definitely want to get more closeups, more intimate action - mostly off a tripod this weekend. Thanks for the feedback!