1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Cropping in Lightroom

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by addieleman, Apr 8, 2012.

1. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I have tried out Lightroom 4 for one full day and I mostly could get along reasonably well with it, except for one thing: I don't like how I have to crop. In Lightroom I have to shift the picture under the crop window while in other programs I can define the cropping window while the picture is standing still. I have been scanning old slides all day yesterday so I had to do quite a lot of cropping and it drove me crazy.

Is there a way in Lightroom to do cropping in my preferred way, i.e. defining the crop window while the picture is not moving? Thanks.

2. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I'm not entirely sure what you mean? When using the crop tool, it starts by framing the full image and you then move the crop handles on any side of the image. You can move the crop around by moving the image after moving the handles, but why wouldn't you get it right using only the crop handles 99% of the time?

Edit: Or are you setting an aspect ratio for each image, in which case you have to move the image around inside that?

3. angusr

angusr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2011
    Short answer is no! But you get used to it pretty quickly and then all the other programs feel backwards...

• Like Like x 1
  4. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Thanks, might try it for some time to see if I can get used to it.

5. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I indeed fix the aspect ratio to 3:2. When I adjust handles the image shifts, which I find extremely annoying.

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    If you're just doing 3:2, why not copy the crop settings from one image and paste to all of them - Photo -> Develop Settings -> Copy Settings ?

DH

7. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I still have to adjust size and position of the crop for each picture individually, so same annoyance per pic.

8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Okay, I see. FWIW, the 'R' shortcut takes you directly from Loupe View to Crop View.

DH

• Like Like x 1
  9. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Thanks all, I've come to grips with the cropping tool. The rest of Lightroom 4 is so good that I was eager to find a way: with Shift-A I start a crop window with a fixed aspect ratio and then I use the handles. The straightening tool comes in handy and eases the pain of editing scans from slides that weren't taken perfectly and often sit skewed in their mounts.

Ordered Lightroom 4 just now after doing some RTFM and watching a few Adobe TV videos. I'm sure it'll take some time to get used to the new tone controls.