'Crop Factor Experiment'

RT_Panther

Mu-43 Legend
Here's my feeble attempt:
-Both shots were on the same day at the same time, exact same spot
-Hand held, no tripod (I was a bit hastened to back to work from lunch & I realize it would have been more precise with it)

-Nikon 1 crop factor I believe is 2.7
The shots have been re-sized but NOT cropped
No post processing

Shot "A"
-Nikon N6006 (35mm Film)
-70-210 lens at 210mm focal length

6533851843_2340295c76_z.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Crop Factor Exeriment: Full Frame by RedTail_Panther, on Flickr

Shot "B"
-Nikon 1 J1
-30-110 lens at 110mm focal length

6533860731_edcabf486f_z.jpg

Crop Factor Exeriment: CX Nikon 1 by RedTail_Panther, on Flickr

RT_Panther

Mu-43 Legend
and the point is ???

K

Addendum:
Ah...I think I know what's got you.....

Next week I'll do the same shot but instead I'll use my E-PL2 & the M. Zuiko 14-150ED :smile:

It will be a while before I develop the film though :wink:

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
Here's my feeble attempt:
-Both shots were on the same day at the same time, exact same spot
-Hand held, no tripod (I was a bit hastened to back to work from lunch & I realize it would have been more precise with it)

-Nikon 1 crop factor I believe is 2.7
The shots have been re-sized but NOT cropped
No post processing

Looks about right. Personally I see the 2.7x crop factor as regrettable, but I don't use long lenses.

DH

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
sorry .. unless i missed a memo i don't actually see what you are trying to prove other than the fact that a state of the art modern digital camera kicks the ass of a 10 plus year old analog camera... kinda got that 5 years ago

K

RT_Panther

Mu-43 Legend
sorry .. unless i missed a memo i don't actually see what you are trying to prove other than the fact that a state of the art modern digital camera kicks the ass of a 10 plus year old analog camera... kinda got that 5 years ago

K

Obviously sour milk....:smile:

The point is to have a visual respresentation of what has been talked about in text so often here (crop factor) so yes, you "missed the memo" - but I'll take the heat for this for not being explicative enough for you in the first post...:smile:

Anything else is your own interpretation :smile:

luguidomanski

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Luiz
Obviously sour milk....:smile:

The point is to have a visual respresentation of what has been talked about in text so often here (crop factor) so yes, you "missed the memo" - but I'll take the heat for this for not being explicative enough for you in the first post...:smile:

Anything else is your own interpretation :smile:

Y believe Kevin was thinking that there is no real comparison between both images. To make some sense, you should probably shoot @210mm with the full frame 35mm, and 210 / 2.7 = 77.77mm with the J1, so you should really see that the crop factor makes sense. Or not.

My $0.02.

addieleman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Ad
On another note, the colour balance in the film shot seems ever so slightly off :wink:. I've looked seriously to see if it might be a toned B&W picture and I'm still not sure. It's one of the advantages of a solid-state sensor instead of a chemical one, a good colour accuracy that is easily attainable.

RT_Panther

Mu-43 Legend
On another note, the colour balance in the film shot seems ever so slightly off :wink:. I've looked seriously to see if it might be a toned B&W picture and I'm still not sure. It's one of the advantages of a solid-state sensor instead of a chemical one, a good colour accuracy that is easily attainable.

:biggrin::redface::biggrin:
The film shot colors are purposely "out of whack" because it's a Redscale film experiment of mine. I used Lomography XR Redscale 50-200 shot at ISO 25. Got a wild variance of hues with it......Here are some extreme samples from the same roll....

6523568493_69c13f4cce.jpg

Honda by RedTail_Panther, on Flickr

6523550061_7c0fec3a7d.jpg

Honda by RedTail_Panther, on Flickr

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
my point was that i didn't understand the purpose of the post...

I understand the effect the crop factor has..I shoot 4/3, micro 4/3 and full frame and have enough legacy lenses to know the difference a smaller sensor makes...... it helps on the long end and sucks on wide angle

I am sure the Nikon J1 is a very fine camera.. but my beef with the original post was 'what are you trying to prove'?... that a smaller sensor modern digital camera can produce bigger sharper images of a subject than a film camera... this is not really news....

sorry.. i do seem to be missing something here....

cameras don't take photographs ...people do

K

RT_Panther

Mu-43 Legend
Kevin,
I'm not trying to prove anything here...Again it's just meant to be a visualization of what I've seen discussed here many times but without a full frame & crop camera shot comparison.

That is all, nothing more..nothing less....:smile:

RT_Panther

Mu-43 Legend
And as I stated earlier,
This upcoming week, I'll try and get a similar shot but only with my E-PL2 & 14-150ED. :smile:

I'm a visual kind of guy when discussing crop factors....:redface:

John M Flores

Super Moderator
The first one looks like something I'd see in a movie theater.
The second one looks like something I'd see on cable.

Screw sharpness and color accuracy and all that crap. My vote is for #1!

Oh, and the motorcycles. Honda CBR600RR FTW!

403071045_95e978ee6b.jpg

Motorcycle: 2007 Honda CBR600RR in repose by john m flores, on Flickr

Latest threads

Top Bottom