1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Cronulla Rock Pools

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by PeterB666, Aug 9, 2010.

1. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    There are five rock pools at Cronulla, a southern suburb of Sydney.

Three are at Cronulla Beach and the others close by at Shelly Park and Oak Park (Glaisher Point). I have posted images of the Shelly Park and Oak Park pools before so now is the time for the pools at the main beach at Cronulla.

As usual for me, this was a sunrise shoot. I have shot the two larger pools at Cronulla before but without the benefit of a wide lens. I have walked through the Children's pool at Cronulla without realising it was a pool. The Childrens pool is essentially a natural depression that has been cleared to make a shallow and safe swimming spot.

I am happy with these shots although the Children's pool does need to have some children in it. Alas, at 6:00 am in the middle of winter you will not find children there. I will need to borrow some at some stage.

First, the North Pool

4867326711_8595ff8682_b.

The Children's Pool

4867324759_33db1736f1_b.

The Main Pool (or Cronulla South Pool).

4867327025_670b85176d_b.

All were taken with an Olympus E-P1 and Olympus M.Zuiko 9-18mm lens. NDs were used to get long exposures and a 3-stop Reverse GND was used in thefrst two

All shots were taken with an Olympus E-P1 and Olympus M.Zuiko 9-18mm lens. These images were taken around 15 minutes or so apart from each other and the change in light is quite dramatic. The first two shots required exposure fusion in Photomatix to bring an adequate dynamic range.

Cheers to all.

• Like Like x 2
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Peter, is that mist rising on the first two? They have a very ghostly feel to them. I feel as though I'm watching an elapsed time photograph with each. Very different and I like them.

Your third is a blue beauty - I love the way the sky and sea reflect each other.

What a beautiful part of the world you live in.

3. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Just the effect of the waves breaking over the pool/rocks and long exposures.

The last shot is interesting because I also shot it before sunrise but from a different angle. The night lighting is the dreaded sodium vapour lamps and it came out quite orange.

A little after sunrise and you have similar colouring - just toned down a bit.

Cheers

Peter

• Like Like x 1