Critique Pls: Couple's shoot at Santa Monica Pier

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by jambaj0e, Jul 27, 2011.

1. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    Hey guys,
    Please let me know what you guys think about my recent photoshoot. This is a couple's shoot under the Santa Monica Pier for a Meetup shoot. It's all shot with natural lighting with no reflectors and minor fill/post processing on Lightroom. The camera I used is my Olympus E-PL2 and the Olympus OM 50mm f1.8 that I just purchased the day before.

I wanted to do something less traditional, a little more "cinematic" with some stylized lighting and drama, almost as if they are lifted from a screenshot of a movie.

• Like Like x 2
  2. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010

• Like Like x 1
  3. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    I think these would make some great print for a young adult television promo or clothing line. What do you think?

• Like Like x 1
  4. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    And here is a great photo of the male model by himself:

5. tomrock

tomrock Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I think they're great. I looked at the pictures first, and then read what you wrote and at first look I thought you had lit them.
  6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
  7. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Thanks guys! I appreciate the first several comments so far =)
  8. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    No other responses?
  9. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I wouldn't begin to know how to critique these shots. But to my untrained eye, they look great. They are not my cup of tea, but they look REALLY well executed. The lighting is no nice, I would have assumed you at least had reflectors. But again, I know nothing of this type of photography, so take it with a grain of salt.
  10. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    I like the third one best; it's very "Twilight"-esque. :wink:

And perhaps it could have benefited from a, whaddacallit, hairlight? to help their hair stand out from the dark background. But with just natural light it's great.

The only other critique I have is that I would like to see more contrast, or perhaps less exposure, on the guy-only shot. That one seems too bright too me. But it may just be my crappy, uncalibrated monitor at work.

Do you ever shoot non-beautiful people? :biggrin:
  11. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    They do look nice, although I am no expert in posed or modelled photography and am probably not in the target demographic I'd imagine this style of work would be aimed at. Maybe the faces in the third image are a bit dark, and the fifth one has some tricky lighting. There seems to be a colour shift along her arm, maybe from different light sources and exposure?
  12. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    I like the carrying one, and the male lounging.
    In some others there are annoying shadows or flatness.

Why didn't you number them?