Critique please

F1L1P

Mu-43 Veteran
10xhdt5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

what do you think would improve this photo, or what is "wrong" with it?

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Hi f1l1p,

I don't think I'm qualified to offer professional critique - but I am interested, what do you think is wrong with it?

I understand this may interrupt your desired feedback - so if you'd rather not answer or PM me instead, I'd completely understand. :smile:

Also, could you share a little about the shooting circumstances - the EXIF is missing.

Cheers

Brian

F1L1P

Mu-43 Veteran
It's my photo. Taken with Panasonic G1 and 45-200mm. I will have to search for original to find exact EXIF data.

I would like to hear what do you think is "wrong" with this picture, because I've received several critiques on this picture and I'm hoping to see if they are true or am I just being to subjective and not able to judge my work correctly.

If you have any comment, advice or critique, please share them :)

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Well, please take my comments as honest, hopefully constructive suggestions from a friend :friends:

I really like the sharp, hard tonality which seems to reveal the crisp defined monument... but I would also like to see the shot taken further around to the right - showing a slightly more 'face on' shot.

Thanks for putting your capture here for critique - I will enjoy seeing other (more qualified) views.

Cheers

Brian

SimplyEd

Mu-43 Regular
Hi F1L1P,

Im not either qualified to critique this photo but I'll try (noob style) (i will just try.. not really good at this).

First, the composition. You could have changed your angle by framing the front-left-side angle of the statue and zoom out. Another way is to shoot from below and define the clouds.

As to the color, which is black and white. I actually liked it. However, you could have added some vignettes and define the clouds.

Thats all my noob comments..

steve

Mu-43 Veteran
Since you asked:

This is a very sharp image, and I love the black and white conversion. The only suggestion I have is in terms of composition. The Statue of Liberty is centered in the frame with negative space behind her and not enough space in front of her. I tend to stick to the rule of thirds with images like this. Also, her fingers are cut off at the bottom. This is generally not desirable for composing shots. Please take this criticism for what it is - my humble opinion, neither right nor wrong.

Steve

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
well,
1st and foremost, it should be a horizontal. The idea of Mother Liberty looking out for new arrivals, well....there's no sense of that.
As a vertical, it's to centered. The eye travel ends before it begins....theres no visual tension.

Crop some of the left edge off and crop some of the top off to add tension and it will start to happen. Of course, if you shot the image as a horizontal, with some edge tension...well...we wouldn't be doing this.....

ahuyevshi

Mu-43 Veteran
I agree crop somewhat tighter maybe?? Too much negative space... Otherwise it's sharp and the B&W is very well executed.

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
Twofer

I like the dark background and the way the Statue is facing into strong light with the torch ablaze. It's also a relatively less common view of the Statue, which in my opinion is a good thing. Overall, I think it is a strong photograph, and I don't have an answer for "What is wrong".

My wife, however, doesn't like the image, feeling that it is a weak view (angle) of Lady Liberty and altogether too "harsh".

So, there's our twofer, fwiw.

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
I find it's alway interesting to read other people's opinions on photographs because they often do give me something different to think about.

All I can give you is my gut reaction which was that I loved the light that seemed to emanate from the flames of the torch - that glow - and that the clouds darkness around her crown and up her arm to the torch really do give the image power. I did feel that maybe there could somehow have been light/life down below. How you would do that I don't know... Maybe it had to do with the angle you were shooting from.

I do see what others who've suggested she needs more space to the right are saying because it does follow that she really is there looking to welcome... So maybe the approach would be to take it as a horizontal photograph as it has been suggested, giving her the space she needs and maybe even not trying to capture so much of her in the frame and concentrating more on her upper quadrant...from above the book and up.

She's a compelling figure, and there's much about your photograph that I really do like. It's got power...but I think it could be better. I've looked at quite a bit of your work on here and I know you've got the goods to make it the way you want it.

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
OK... i know its bad to alter anothers photos... but the old worth a thousand words thing

3 very quick aternate crops on filps original just to illustrate the difference a crop can make

Attachments

• example 1.jpg
    example 1.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 93
  • example 2.jpg
    example 2.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 96
  • example 3.jpg
    example 3.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 94

F1L1P

Mu-43 Veteran
OK... i know its bad to alter anothers photos... but the old worth a thousand words thing

3 very quick aternate crops on filps original just to illustrate the difference a crop can make

no problem, picture is always worth a thousand words. I like your first crop the most.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
no problem, picture is always worth a thousand words. I like your first crop the most.

So what I'm interested in is...
1. You stated that you have had other critiques from this image.
2. I'd like to know what was said about it.
3. I'd like to know your thoughts as yours are the only ones that really matter.

Just so that we can all compare our stuff with the previous and yours....
Is this ok with you, of course there is no pressure to do so...
shooter

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
filip

thanks... the 1st one is the safe crop... middle one is not good... but i had to do that one to see the 3rd one which i like best... just because its right and wrong at the same time :)

K

Amin

Mu-43 Legend

I want to take this opportunity to point anyone reading this thread to our guidelines. Had I seen this post before F1L1P's subsequent approval of the edit/repost, I would have deleted it. I do understand the value of the 1000 words thing, but we have to protect copyright no matter how well meaning the intent. Thanks for understanding.

chalkdust

Mu-43 Regular
F1L1P,
I do not think there is anything wrong with it. I start looking at it as YOUR picture, not the cumulative effect of other people's styles. I was struck with its emphasis on the torch and the arm holding the torch, two aspects of the Lady I had not before thought about. I found your original photo refreshing and inspiring.

I am NOT complaining about anybody's suggestions. After all, our opinions are exactly what you requested.

BartonFlyer

Mu-43 Regular
I want to take this opportunity to point anyone reading this thread to our guidelines. Had I seen this post before F1L1P's subsequent approval of the edit/repost, I would have deleted it. I do understand the value of the 1000 words thing, but we have to protect copyright no matter how well meaning the intent. Thanks for understanding.

Amin - given that the crops of the picture added greatly to this thread, would it be possible, on posting an image, for the original poster to give permission for their images to be edited - personally if I'm putting up an image on a public forum in a photography website, then I'd be delighted if someone wanted to edit/crop etc in order to teach me how it could be improved.

Surely the only downside is if someone nicks the image for their own commercial gain?

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
I think the correct protocol is to ask for permission on each specific image... if given, there should be no problem with posting an illustration like this.

Cheers

Brian

Latest threads

Top Bottom