Featured Creatures Of Night

Discussion in 'Nature' started by MarkB1, Mar 9, 2018.

1. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    You have to go down the garden at night to see these creatures of the dark. You won’t know them otherwise.

Go quietly, disturbing as little as possible on the way, lest they take fright and disappear into the night.

The least disturbance can be enough that they are away, never to be seen again without aid.

And when they are done they are gone, time’s up. Gotta make the most of it or …

When you get close enough, never mind the mozzies, little beauties all.

1. Perched on a stick left out for the purpose. A lacewing takes portrait position.
    p1210079a_mark-berkery_filtered-ni_2.

2. Furry fellow, frantic feeder … Anticipating position, speed is key to capture an image of this hyper active moth.
    p1210240_mark-berkery_filtered-ni_2.

3. Salt and pepper moth, but not for eating … except by spiders maybe.
    p1210689_mark-berkery_filtered-ni_2.

4. Monk beetle, because it has that hooded look. Wedge beetle actually, shy little thing.
    p1210589_mark-berkery_filtered-ni_2.

5. What big eyes … all the better to see in the dark … On my finger.
    p1210591_mark-berkery_filtered-ni_2.

6. A fermenting but still useful orange I staked in the garden attracted this big moth, about 3 inches long.
    p1220856_mark-berkery_filtered-ni_2.

7. The proboscis is actually piercing the orange peel. When she finished I’m sure she was drunk, the way she blundered about.
    p1220871_mark-berkery_filtered-ni_2.

8. Owl Fly, debris of an old butterfly meal evident. Picture of a rose in background to hide the clutter of branches.
    p1070175_mark-berkery_filtered-ni_2.

9. They are predators, big 360′ eyes, hunting the same as a dragonfly. Just not as aerobatic.
    p1070173_mark-berkery_filtered-ni_2.

10. Huntsman, prowling food debris in the garden pile – one of them.
    p1070145_mark-berkery_filtered-ni_2.

11. A different one, front right leg is intact. Sitting for a shot. Amazingly, they can grow new legs.
    p1180814_mark-berkery_filtered-ni_2.

12. Hawk moth? Attracted to the light that had a stick beneath it for the purpose. Provide and they come … sometimes.
    p1070102_mark-berkery_filtered-ni_2.

13. Don’t and they surely won’t. Hawk moth and friend at rest, a hopper of some kind perhaps …
    p1070116_mark-berkery_filtered-ni_2.

14. An occasional visitor to the same light. The only way to see some creatures is attract them.
    p1070067_mark-berkery_filtered-ni_2.

15. Nature’s design … my nature. Thank you for your attention.
    p1070073_mark-berkery_filtered-ni_2.

• Winner Winner x 56
    • Like Like x 9
    • Wow Wow x 7
  2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Love your pics, Mark. Thank you for sharing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Once again, really phenomenal macros.

4. Kalifornier

Kalifornier Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Apr 29, 2014
    California
    All pics are amazing, especially the Owl Fly one. :bowdown:

5. Usual high standards, and interesting too!

6. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Love the detail, you keep raising the bar.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. MarkB1

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    Thanks for comments all, appreciated.

8. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    This thread definitely deserves to be featured on the front page. Superb stuff (as always)! :bravo-009:

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. MarkB1

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    Thanks Pake, appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jeff Storck

Jeff Storck Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Virginia
    Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

11. MarkB1

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    Thanks Jeff, appreciated.

12. Yves B

Yves B Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 25, 2017
    Sainte-Marie, QC, CAN
    Wonderful macro shot. Bravo!

13. MarkB1

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    Thanks Yves.

14. paul macro

paul macro Mu-43 Regular

Sep 10, 2011
    Great macro shots i am interested in your settings and equipment used ,i have just purchased 2 sets of raynox magnifiers the 150 and 250 to go on some existing lenses ie the 75mm f1.8 or 60mm f2.8 macro or 40-150mm ,i am confused more about the flash set up i have purchased a soft box to diffuse the light on my metz 52 af-1 which does not work remotely in ttl so i have to use a cord for off camera although tempted by the olympus macro flash set up ,do you have any experience with this also the subjects are they live or dead any info would be most grateful.

15. Equable

Equable Mu-43 Regular

Feb 2, 2017
    Jersey. Channel Islands
    Rod
    Paul macro, if you enter beingmark.com into your search engine, all will be answered, and the subjects are most definitely alive!
    Regards, Rod.

16. MarkB1

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    Thanks Paul. Exif is usually in the files, you just need an exif reader, as an addon in your browser or standalone. Start with the 150, easier to manage the dof until you get used to the shallowness. Then, when you've mastered the 250 you can stack one on the other. I don't know the 75 or the 40-150. I use the Oly 60 and the Pany 45-175 (plus a few more), both are internally zooming - the lens doesn't extend, helps when you want to control the working distance - limits the movement necessary to keep things in focus.

I find it best to snoot the flash as well as diffuse it. See 1/5th the way down this page Macro Illustrated for some of my setups. I use an external flash mostly these days but the on-board one works just fine too.

Live or dead? That you ask tells your experience. Once you get to know the little creatures it becomes apparent. Where's the challenge, or the pleasure, in shooting dead creatures?

Thanks for that Rod, that's the address of my blog all right. The link to the page on macro is Macro Illustrated

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.