1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Creating a new camera

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ksn, Mar 26, 2011.

1. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    I've never formally introduced myself when I joined, so it's better late than never :smile:

I'm a recent graduate with a major in industrial (product) design, currently seeking employment. During this downtime, I've had a lot of time to explore different hobbies. Photography was something I never really got into, but would like to re-explore. I have an 8 year old Nikon D50 with maybe 2 lenses and 12000 actuations, but most of my photos were never real inspired. Being a fan of Panasonic, I picked up a GF2, which brought me to these forums.

Now, I've been spending a lot of time going through my portfolio, fixing up details, etc and I realized that every project in my portfolio was based on guidelines either set by a course I had taken or a competition. So wanting to create an entirely new project, I gave a lot of thought to what I wanted to create. Thinking that a project started on my own initiative and based on my interests will be more motivated and inspired, I decided to create a new m4/3 body because of my recent fascination with my GF2.

I've put a lot of time into research, reading about people's different experiences on different forums, which was what had sparked this topic (https://www.mu-43.com/f35/what-micro-4-3s-missing-10336/) but being fairly unexperienced to the subject, I've had to read up on some fairly amateur topics as well just to familiarize myself with some of the terms and technology, many which I still struggle with.

If people are interested I'll post my progress in this thread and any constructive criticism, advice, tips, etc would be most welcome.

Edit: Coincedentally, I got a freelance job right after posting this, so I may not have as much time as I would have liked to work on this, but I will attempt to work on it as much as I can :)

• Like Like x 2
  2. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    So I've pretty much just started, but this is what I have so far.

P1000088.

People mentioned a built-in EVF and I really didn't like how it looked on the Fuji X100, where it looked cramped in the corner, so just I thought about hiding it beneath the flash. Because it seems most people either use one or the other, it shouldn't be an issue if the EVF partially blocked the LCD screen. The protrusion of the EVF should help with not cramming your face up against the camera, and folding it back in makes it more portable for storage. Quick animation just based off the GF2 body.

evf.

• Like Like x 8
  3. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Looks cool!

4. Plimsol

Plimsol Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2010
    Belgium, Antwerp
    Excellent idea, for the Olympus EPL versions.

For the EP (or a pro version) i prefer "fix" solutions, no things that come out off the camera.
    Better for waterproofing and stronger in use.

Just my opinion, keep on the good work.
    Jean,
    EP-2

5. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Interesting idea.... but not sure if it will work :)

in a EVF the LCD is not on the back plane , but is set back a distance so the eye can focus on it.

still loved seeing your sketches...take me back to when I was an industrial design student....though I never did find a job in that field... :)

K

• Like Like x 1
  6. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    I thought about that, but I was halfway done with the animation at that point. Thanks, guess I need to go backwards a bit.

7. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    I would check out the the camera rumour sites like

photorumors.com or 43rumors.com or canonrumors.com , they often have patent drawings from camera manufacturers and theat might give some clues to the layout of an evf

good luck

K

• Like Like x 2
  8. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    Only started working on this again. Thought this would be a fun image to share. Rough rendering of a Micro 4/3 mount, should be fairly accurate (visually), measured it out to a tenth of a millimeter. Won't put in screws and all that until I'm almost done with everything.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. Like your placement of the evf on the left side corner. Where the GF1 unit built in flash is located. Reduces nose smudges on lcd. Might reduce any nose touch screen issues. Personally I would be willing to sacrifice the built in flash for a higher resolution (G1,2 evf) if space/size is an issue.

10. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    Haven't updated in a while, but I decided to go in a bit of a more conceptual direction in order to keep things interesting (for my portfolio, at least).

Older version, rough:

[​IMG]

11. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  12. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  13. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
  14. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Looks good, but I don't think that placing 4 control buttons across the direction pad is a good idea. It looks cramped. I believe it will be difficult to distinguish the buttons by touch.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    Thanks. Constructive criticism is most welcome :biggrin: For the most part, I think I am done with this project; unfortunately, I don't have any time, currently to go back and make any major changes, even just rearranging the buttons at this point would take several days of work. I would like to get some better in-use context shots though. Trying to work with stock photos and scans from camera brochures I picked up in Japan.

Edit: I did give the directional buttons a spherical surface while giving the surrounding buttons a different slope, hoping it would be enough to distinguish by touch. Hopefully this image shows it better or more clearly.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I know they're fake and I still believe your camera exists. Nice work!

• Like Like x 2
  17. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    looks cool and I really like the articulated lens idea... and those are amazing mock-ups, too

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    wow! first time seeing these! they are too cool! :D
    too bad yer not an oly fan grrl.. i bet youd make a killer ep4!

good luck in yer work!
    tho from the looks of it, u dont need it! :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    you have a real talent for graphic design

• Like Like x 1
  20. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010