Crazy thought regarding bokeh for m4/3rds.

duartix

New to Mu-43
Now you are making me feel VERY old - I taught people Fortran in the early 70's at Salford University -(...) we thought graphics were magical in those days. It amazes me just how much the software we rely upon today has built upon those early routines - I wonder how many people have any idea of the mathematics in involved?
This could really be a great project to jump into OpenCL if I had the time...

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
Now you are making me feel VERY old - I taught people Fortran in the early 70's at Salford University - we were the support centre for a product called GINO-F (Graphical INput Output for Fortran) - it's logo was a gingerbread man drawn on a graphplotter - we thought graphics were magical in those days. It amazes me just how much the software we rely upon today has built upon those early routines - I wonder how many people have any idea of the mathematics in involved?

As a computer engineer, I don't have to imagine. I don't do algorithms on pictures, however, I do employ algorithms on 1080p HD video..uncompressed. This is a 3gb/s data stream!

Dj

laptoprob

Mu-43 Regular
No difference between m3/4 and M9

Hello everyone,
Obviously, the 4/3rds format sensor gives deeper depth of field due to the smaller sensor size.
The OOF characteristics aren't any different on either camera. The m3/4 only shows a 2x crop. Steve mixes the basics by suggesting the focal length of a lens changes on a m3/4 body. It obviously won't. Therefore optical behaviour and characteristics such as perspective and bokeh won't change.
At least, when compared from the same standpoint. The appearant dof only changes if you change your standpoint to 'fit' an object into your frame. Zooming with your feet changed distance and thus the amount of depth of field.

In other words, a 25mm lens gives the frame like a 'regular' 50mm lens, but that's all.

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
One of the things I'm curious about is the angle of incedence on the sensor for wide angle lenses. I realize this discussion is more on the lines of DOF, but a 20mm 35mm equivalent lens on a larger sensor would not have the same angle of incedence that a 10mm mFT lens(20mm 35mm eq) would have. The faster the lens, the sharper the light cone is I would think.

Dj

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom