Crazy Idea - swap O45/60 for PL45mm?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by tkbslc, Jun 17, 2015.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I keep having a conflict about which lens to bring. I like having close focus capabilities, so I want to bring the 60mm along. But then it ends up being a bit too long for family pics and portraits, so I want to bring the 45mm along. I either have to pack two similar lenses in the bag all the time, or compromise and pick one and then get frustrated for half the shots because I picked the wrong lens.

So I was thinking maybe I'd replace both with the PL45. Is that a crazy idea? I'm leaving f1.8 on the table and also going to have a bit less working distance for macro. I don't shoot spiders, so that's probably OK. I also really like the macro range option on the 3 position limiter on the 60mm and it looks like the 45mm only has a 2 position. I have the 15mm f1.7 and 25mm f1.8, so It seems like I still have options for low light.

On one hand it seems dumb to want to get rid of two outstanding lenses, but other hand it makes sense to simplify my life by having one lens that can do family, portraits and macro and I don't have to choose or swap lenses as often.
  2. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    You could try an extension ring on the O45.
    It won't be as good or as close as the O60, but a lot smaller and cheaper than trading lenses.
    Another alternative would be the P42.5 f/1.7 which has much better close-up capabilities than the O45. But then you will be losing money trading all those lenses...
  3. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    How often do you shoot true macro? Do you have a sense of the magnification you're dealing with?

As a compromise, you might be better off with the 42.5/1.7 since you maintain the speed and compact size, but get a much closer MFD. Still only 0.2x, but that's enough for decent close-ups of some subjects. (See below, the 14-140 f4 at 0.2x).

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. tkbslc

This year is the first time I've owned a dedicated macro prime and I've been using it fairly often. But I'll be honest I don't really like shooting bugs that often (other than bees and butterflies). I like flowers and coins photography as well as just being able to focus on small details. But 1:1 is too much most of the time. I would probably be happy with 1:3 or 1:2. I am kind of bummed the Panasonic and Olympus kit zooms have such poor close focus. My older Canon kit duo, 18-55 IS and 55-250 IS, both went to 1:3 and the 18-135mm IS went to 1:4 and that was nice to have in your carry-around lens. I think my Panasonic 14-42 and 45-150 do 1:6 at best.

I've wondered about adding the MCON-P02 in the bag with the 45mm and maybe I wouldn't need the macro lens. Maybe I could try that as an option. $50 instead of $600 for the 45mm.
  5. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    The other dark-horse option is the Olympus 4/3 50mm/f2, though focus speeds would be disappointing compared to what you're used to. It's supposed to be devastatingly sharp, though.

If you're cool with 1:4 magnification, the 14-140 f3.5 does that.
  6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The Raynox 150 & 250 are options too. They'll need a step-up ring to fit the 37mm thread on the 45, but the results are very good. Not as good as the 60, but pretty close in my experience.
  7. tkbslc

I actually almost said in the OP that I wish this lens was recreated for m4/3. That's exactly what I want!

I have young kids, though, so no way they are waiting 5 seconds for the AF to catch up on the old 4/3 adapted one.

This bg blur plot isn't making me feel that great about 45mm f2.8 as a portrait solution. 60mm f2.8 is pretty close to 45mm f1.8, so I was thinking it is not a big deal to go f2.8. But with the shorter 45mm focal length, f2.8 seems like a huge compromise for for outdoor portraits:
  8. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

42.5mm f/1.7 goes past 1:5 or so.
  9. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  10. JanW

JanW Mu-43 Regular

Dec 11, 2014
    Nieuwerkerk a/d IJssel, Netherlands
    Look at your photo's with te 45mm. How often do you use the aperture range between f/1.8 and f/2.8?
    For a portrait lens the extra subject isolation would be more important than the low light capabilities.
    If you're not specifically selecting wider apartures on the O45 I think the PL 45 would be a good option.