Crazy - But I'm Going Old School Digital

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Robert Watcher, May 21, 2015.

1. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

I have to say that one of the lenses I really miss, is my 70-300 (140mm to 600mm equiv.) Olympus. After selling of a lot of my 4/3 gear a couple of years ago - E-3, 50 f2 macro, 50-250 SWD, FL50R - I gladly gave an Olympus 4/3 using Nicaraguan fellow I have come to know, my 70-300 as a gift ---- figuring that I would soon get a new one in the micro 4/3 designation.

Fact is that until it was gone, I didn't realize how much I depended on and missed that lens for my travel work. And then the reality of having to spend serious money ($600 plus with taxes) on the 75-300 version for my micro 4/3 bodies, I was left in a quandary about what to do to fill that need.

My decision came yesterday when I perused through Kijijji Classified ads, to see what was available used for 4/3 gear in my area of Ontario Canada. Turned out to be a fair bit.

And so today I picked up a virtually new Olympus E-520 to hang any lenses that I get on to. The owner (from Argentina), purchased it new 5 years ago, to take pics of her newborn baby with but instead ended up using her iPhone to capture most of the moments. It has a measly 2,000 actuations on it - about what I would shoot in one average wedding day. I purchased it for what I consider a steal at $150 (no 13% taxes added on obviously). It's a good thing because I still have and can benefit from my favourite lens of all time - - - - my 12-60 SWD. I have it because I haven't been able to sell it, even at give away prices

Moments later I came across a fellow who had switched to Pen cameras and found his 70-300 4/3 lens not suitable to focusing and rather unwieldy on the bodies. He was firm at $175 (again without adding 13% taxes) - - - but that was great being it was in mint condition and came in at $50 to $150 less than what was being asked for the same lens by other sellers on the classifieds.

So instead of moving ahead with my micro 4/3 purchases, I am finding myself digressing to the slightly less spec'd but wonderful system I enjoyed up until just a couple of years ago. Guaranteed that for 80% of my work - especially in travel and street - I will be using one or all of my 3 Pen cameras, kit lenses, and a few manual primes with adapters, that I have been using successfully recently. But now I can benefit from two wonderful lenses that I really miss - my 12-60 f2.8/4 and 70-300.

I hoped and tried going with just one system (mirror less micro 4/3), but for the next few years at least, it looks like I will be sticking with 2 systems instead. It is just plain more economical for me. Heck I was even tempted by a couple of good condition E-1's, but the reality is that the E-520 will serve me much better. I loved and many times preferred my E-510 over my E-3, at least until it died.

17954302561_98aaeefa73_z.

EPL58093
    by Robert Watcher, on Flickr
    Photo taken with Olympus E-PL5 w/14-42 kit lens @ 3200 ISO

NEW PURCHASES TODAY - OLYMPUS E-520 w/ kit lens and bag - Olympus 70-300 lens (140-600mm equivalent in 35mm)

Last edited: May 21, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    As long as you are happy with what you have, then that is a great thing.

Enjoy it and make some great images with it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Crazy but in a nice way. ;)  In the end you saved $100 or so on shopping for a used 75-300 or 100-300 m43 lens, but still having your 12-60 FT lens is the clincher for your choice IMO.

Enjoyed your story, thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

A huge motivator for going this route had to do with my not wanting to fork out huge money for every new micro 4/3 lens that I want and can really use (say 7-14, 12, 17, 25, 45, 75, 12-40, 40-150, 75-300 at min.). And then of course some of the lenses would require at least an E-M5 if not the preferred E-M1.

So here was some of my logic yesterday - - - I have a huge expensive paper weight in the 12-60 SWD, with no way to use it. If I could sell it, I would be replacing it with the 12-40 f2.8. Oh wait, I can't sell it. Plus the asking price I could maybe wish for is say $500. But then the 12-40 is around $1100 with taxes. It will be kind of big on my Pens and so will be best with a new E-M5 or E-M1 body. Plus as wonderful as the 12-40 may be, it falls far short on the focal length I already have and prefer. Huge bucks for no gain.

Then there was my desire to get the 70-300 focal length that I far prefer over the 40-150 m4/3 that I do own and use for my Pens. So was that going to be my next choice for purchase? Well at around $600 that would be a serious purchase. But hey, I also really need the 45mm so I can do some quality portrait work with my Pens. Besides that 24mm (35 equiv.) as the widest coverage of the lenses I have, isn't wide enough for my preference - so I really need either the 9-18 at $850 with taxes or the preferred but totally out of my current ball park for economical reasons - 7-14mm.

So I either work out a practical and pragmatic way to get what I need, or do without and dream. I'm afraid that I'm a shooter not a dreamer. ;) 

My current requirements so that I can do travel and professional portrait work are at least one E-M5 Mark II (or E-M1) body with 12-40 f2.8, 45 f1.8, 9-18 wide angle, 75-300 super zoom, and for pro work, 40-150 f2.8. Those are my needs beyond the Pen cameras and lenses I already have that suit fantastically the one area on photography I am currently consumed with in Central America.

So that is why I am going back to old cameras that provide very little difference in image quality and are manageable financially. No doubt that I benefit from the higher ISO ability of my Pens and and I will continue to make use of them when that functionality is needed. I prefer small size and flip out LCD screen for my carry around camera. So for now it appears that it will take both systems to keep me shooting and content - - - even though I was hoping to just drop the old and move on with the new.

5. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    I shoot with an E-5 and E-P5 with the E-1 backup to E-5 and I found the E-5 still capable of churning out fantastic images. For low light work, I use the m43 with my primes. 4/3 lenses are way more affordable. I got the 14-54 for $100 and the 70-300 for $120 all Canadian. I'm eyeing on the 7-14 but it's holding its price well. I can't afford nor need the new bodies and lenses. Cost is a factor in my decision.

• Like Like x 1
  6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

I don't think it is crazy at all. Those lenses have the best performance and "experience" being used on their native camera mounts. Aside from comparing noise performance over ISO 1600, I don't think you are going to have many regrets.

Here's something crazy. This would have been a 4/3 dream kit even just 5-6 years ago:

E-30
    11-22 f2.8-3.5
    14-54 f2.8-3.5
    50-200 f2.8-3.5

Total cost at KEH today: $960

You can barely get one high end zoom for m4/3 for that money. This is a complete pro-caliber kit.

I don't think it is crazy at all to use slightly older gear to increase your capabilities for a lot less money.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  7. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I still have an E-5 and 35-100mm f2.0, however I tend to use the lens on a E-M1 body (I have two) and keep the E-5 as backup.

The E-5 is still a fine machine and the difference between 12 and 16mp is absolutely nothing, I have however recently been considering selling it recently since I now have two m4/3 bodies... then comes the big question that you too faced, is it worth selling?

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.