Crappy E-PM2 Grip!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by cfugle, Nov 28, 2013.

1. cfugle

cfugle Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2013
    Quebec
    Christopher
    Happy Seasons Greeting Oly Buddies.
    I bought my EPM2 2 months ago as the reviews were strong, good sensor from the top of the line model, built-in sensor stabilization and a very compact and lightweight design.
    My large hands got used to the controls rather quickly but the grip with older manual lenses was awful. The built-in grip is quite shallow and not grippy enough for the texture. One night a week ago I stumbled across a UK upstart company that created a water-proof, heat-proof rubber compound that could be moulded easily (like thick putty) and sets permanently in 24 hours. It arrived today and I enhanced my crappy grip to a substantial one and look forward tomorrow to test it out. It can be removed with some work but the body is a keeper in my mind and an excellent second body down the line. PEN20013. not grippy. grippy.

The stuff is called Sugru (http://Sugru.com) and it comes in many colours. Check them out for all their amazing used and fixes especially for hybrid camera mounts, flash mounts and tripod attachments. Very clever stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  2. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I was just thinking the exact same thing yesterday! I just upgraded from E-PM1 (with custom grip) to E-PM2 and I think the grip sucks. I saw a Sugru ad and thought that could be the solution to my problem. Maybe I'll give it a try...

3. cfugle

cfugle Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2013
    Quebec
    Christopher
    Additional info

After creating the grip yesterday. I decided to give it a test run after 18 hours and I must say it changes the comfort factor and I believe I was able to capture more sharp shot today that before.
    After shooting all day in my frigid climate, I wanted to beef up the back thumb rest as well. So I used half a package of the black and beefed up the exisiting thumb grip as well. This is how this little power packed camera should feel...
    Does it lose some of it's cute factor? Sure it does, but cute does not help with great shots does it?
    IMG_8933. IMG_8935.

Please excuse the hammered thumbs. I was trying to nail up siding to my garage and missed a few times.

Tips: Sugru is very pliable for about 8 hours, which I them created a cross-hatch pattern on the front and back applications using an Exacto knife for a little boosted grip-ability (not shown).

4. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    you have even added additional security by embedding your finger prints on it!

more seriously, good call all round

• Like Like x 2
  5. cfugle

cfugle Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2013
    Quebec
    Christopher
    Makes it mine (forever) s the custom grip is perfect for me. Now when someone asks to check it I just say that I have a symbiotic relationship with my Oly and we are inseparable.

6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    In my opinion a substantial thumb-grip is the most important modification.
    I modify my cameras like a mad thing usually, but the front rubber grip on this e-pM2 seems fine to me.

It was my old e-pM1 that got front and back additions.

[​IMG]

7. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    At least yer cuticles are trimmed ;D lol

8. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    That looks like an awesome modification... :smile:

9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It also has adds a security feature! If ever stolen and the police recover it you can identify it as yours because your fingerprints are molded on the grip!:smile:

I have seen the Sugru website and been tempted to get some for various repairs and mods. Glad to hear from a satisfied customer that it really does work.

10. wanderenvy

wanderenvy Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    Anyone know if there is a base plate that can be added to the E-PM2 that adds a grip? Something like what's available for the new Panasonic GM1. Shouldn't be too hard to make out of molded plastic. Makes you wonder if Panasonic misplaced a decimal somewhere.

http://www.adorama.com/IPCDMWHGR1S.html

11. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Sold my PM2. Loved the sensor, hated the handling. Rocking with my old PM1 with custom grip atm. Very tidy work with the sugro :thumbup:

12. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    I want a grip for my E-PM2 too!

I had contacted JB Designs and got a response, saying he had no plans to make one ;(

Something like the GM1 add-on metal grip would be perfect! Group buy?

13. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013

I know I thought of that idea for the PM2 and actually even did some measuring. I was going to have my dad make up a metal plate at work and screw it into the bottom of the camera and then screw or strap some sort of grip on. I wish Panasonic would make one for the Olympus cameras!

14. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Here's my version of the "Sugru custom grip for E-PM2" :biggrin:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Haven't had the chance to test it yet since it's still drying... I'll let you know how it feels tomorrow.

15. djonesii

djonesii Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    I've been toying with how to do this kind of custom work, and at my previous job, had a 3D printer. That tech would work just fine.

Design in sketch up, send to a shop for prototype printing, and publish here or there with a link to the printer.

Not a model to make money, but a way to help out the community!

Dave

16. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Sounds good to me!

17. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    A print which fits the existing grip exactly would be a nice thing to publish.
    I found grinding out the right hollow on the back of my e-P2 wood grip to be the most laborious bit.

18. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    So... The sugru is now hardened and it turned out ok. It's still not the best possible grip for E-PM2 but the camera feels MUCH better in my hand now. I tried to find the best look/feel -ratio and I think I managed it well enough. It could have looked worse but felt better and vice versa.

I can honestly recommend giving this sugru stuff a try. It's not that expensive and if you don't like it you can get rid of it. Though I would suggest doing that before it dries... :smile:

19. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    That sugru stuff is awesome. Used in a similar fashion on my previous em5, on the thumbgrip and on the halfcase in front. Worked like a charm. And best part is that it came off completely when i wanted to sell the camera. I always have a pack handy

Patrick K

20. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    How di you remove it? It's nice to know it comes off! :smile:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk