Cracked rear LCD OMD EM 10

Caileanmor

New to Mu-43
I know there has been a lot in the forums about this but I'm not sure about one point. Is the crack in the glass that I can see a part of the replacement part or is there a separate glass screen above the touch screen. I think the answer is that it's all the one part but I'd just like confirmation by someone who has done the job. Camera and screen work perfectly.
P1000132.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
The crack just annoys me. Many thanks in advance.

Nathanael

Mu-43 Veteran
I have a cracked LCD, and also have taken my EM10 apart (to deal with some salt water)
HOW TO: Fix salt water damaged lens

Looking at the parts online, I got the impression it was a new LCD without glass. I could easily be wrong about that though, it was hard to tell. I didn't pull the LCD apart when I had the camera open. How much is the part (link?)

EDIT:
Actually I'm not sure why I got that impression.. Based on this

Changing the Olympus OM-D E-M5 LCD Screen
it looks like you're probably right that it's all one piece.

I know it's for the EM5, but I followed a EM5 breakdown when taking apart my EM10 and everything was nearly identical, so I'm inclined to think the LCD will be the same as well.

Last edited:

Caileanmor

New to Mu-43
Hi, I'm in Scotland. Here's the link I have. It may be of help.
NEW LCD Display Screen For Olympus OM-D E-M1 E-P5 E-M10 E-PL7 Digital Camera | eBay
I think my question still remains. Is the glass that I can touch part of the screen? I don't want to order a new screen and find that the glass is the only bit that is broken. I think the glass MUST be part of the screen otherwise the touch system wouldn't work but I just don't know. Regards

Caileanmor

New to Mu-43
Not sure if anyone is still watching this but I have ordered a new screen. It'll be coming from China I think and costing somewhere between £30-£40. I'll then have a good look at it then make a decision whether I go for the repair or make do keeping the screen as a back up spare as the camera is perfect other than the hairline crack. Depends how adventurous I feel at the time. If I do the repair I'll report back. BTW liking the camera more and more. Doubtful if I would go back to a standard dslr although Nikon seem to be bringing out some crackers.

Caileanmor

New to Mu-43
Not a success. The part delivered wasn't suitable but please read on. As you can hopefully see from the photo there is a circuit board securely attached without screws to the rear of the original screen. It appears to be glued. The was not on the replacement part which you can see on the right. Having spent 25 years in the electronics industry I know that PCBs are brittle and I didn't try to remove it so I cut my losses and put it back together. Remember I do have a working screen even although it is cracked. I believe the issue may stem from the OMD 10 part being advertised as the same as the OMD 1 and I checked this. However, looking at the link that was supplied in a previous post I believe that this PCB on the OMD 5 may be on a separate piece as may be the case with the OMD 1. As the OMD 10 is a cheaper model there may have been a cost reduction and hence the (apparent) gluing to the actual screen negating the cost of an extra fixing plate. I would say that if this part had had the PCB then I would have continued as the assembly and re-assembly was straightforward. If anyone has previously got to this stage and successfully removed the PCB from the back of the LCD please let me know.
20161204_102015.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Caileanmor

New to Mu-43
Progress. After a scientific chat with my son I've managed to get the small pcb off with the deft use of a guitar plectrum and my wife's hairdryer. Taken the old screen out and test connected up the new one which works. However. in removing the rear plastic bezel it broke. I've re-glued it and it looks fine. I've ordered up 1mm double sided mobile phone tape to re-attach the screen to the bezel so here's hoping that once I get it all back together the new screen will still be functioning. If all this is a success I'll be a bit more detailed in my findings and pitfalls to look out for.

Latest threads

Top Bottom