Cracked OMD Sensor Cover

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tohara, Jun 20, 2012.

1. tohara

tohara Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 5, 2012
    so i've got some terrible news to report. This evening i removed the lens from my OMD to find that the piece of glass covering the sensor has cracked all the way through and is now moving around.

I have no idea how it happened. I've had the camera two weeks. I've shot barely 20 photos. Its never been dropped or mistreated, always rested on it's back. The lens has been on since day one and it's the kit lens. No other lenses have been on the camera. I don't even know when it happened!

Im going to take it into the local olympus repairer tomorrow to find out the damage, but heres hoping the glass is fairly inexpensive. It doesn't appear as though the sensor has been damaged.

Anyone got any ideas? If not then make sure you take extra special care of your OMD apparently they are extremely fragile!

Here is the damage
    gpydGl.

2. Gusnyc

Gusnyc Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    New York
    This should be covered by the warranty. Why don't you call Olympus? They are very good taking care of cases like this.

3. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    It looks like it was mounted improperly at the factory and failed from stress cracking.

4. tohara

tohara Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 5, 2012
    so would you recommend i take it back to where i purchased it or the local repairer as listed on the warranty card?

5. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Olympus definitely would want to see this and repair it under warranty.

This may be a one in a million occurrence, but the factory is going to want to know why it happened (an 8D analysis of design, materials, processing, and packaging) just to make sure that they're not making thousands more like this every day.

6. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    My heart stopped when I saw the image... I hope they fix it quickly and get you back to using that awesome beast as quickly as possible :)

7. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    x2... box it up, call Oly, send it in. They'll likely just send you a new one.

8. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I have my doubts...they'll probably say you dropped it and will want to charge you (is there anyone else in your household that could have played with the camera and dropped it). Even with that said I wish you the best of luck!

9. 250swb

250swb Mu-43 Regular

Looking on the less cynical side of things, when Leica had a run of cracked sensor glass with the M9 they replaced them under warranty and continue to replace them when the last ones show up that are now out of warranty. I imagine Olympus will have a reasonable attitude towards this, and they have no choice but to have a reasonable attitude if others turn up.

Steve

10. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

That sort of drop would leave a mark on the camera methinks.:smile:

• Like Like x 1
  11. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Ouch! Sorry about the issue! I hope you are able to get it resolved quickly under warranty.

12. kirio

kirio Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 17, 2012
    Bay Area, CA
    I hope they replace/repair it under warranty and that this is not a case of a bad batch like the Leica M9 sensor problem.

I had an M9 which I bought used that suffered the cracked sensor problem. Good thing I bought it locally and the dealer from whom the M9 was bought originally was local as well, made the repair hassle-free.

• Like Like x 1
  13. tohara

tohara Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 5, 2012
    Thanks for the support everyone. This was a big shock. I have a $10k worth of DSLR gear and i baby everything like crazy. Always kept in my pelican case and my room mates know never to touch anything. The camera is in perfect condition, Snapper raises the point that i plan to make to the local retailer. Had i dropped it enough to crack the sensor you would think the camera would be marked too.

I should get my 25 1.4 in the mail tomorrow. Its going to be hard staring at it knowing i can't use it for a while!

I hope this isn't a bad batch. I will keep updating this thread with the outcome.
    Cheers

14. RichA

RichA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Why would you have to pay for it, if you didn't cause it by mishandling to break? It's their problem, let the warranty take care of it. Meanwhile, does anyone know if that cover is just the AA filter? If so...might be interesting to see some images taken without it!
    Good luck!

15. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    I would advise leaving it be. Depending on how far that glass protrudes, this could be a good way to rip the shutter curtains.

Edit: The picture shows to some degree the spacing between the AA filter and the sensor. Interesting to this retired engineer.

16. tohara

tohara Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 5, 2012
    So i just heard that the camera is on the way back from the repairer. No cost and a weeks turn around. Overall i'm happy with how Olympus has handled this. I haven't had suck luck with Canon in the past!

Still no idea how this happened

17. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I and others on the forum know Olympus cameras can withstand alot of impact shock. Like can you believe about 5 years ago I accidentally put my Oly C-770 Ultra zoom digital camera in a commercial clothes dryer where it violently tumbled around for 20 minutes! I had forgotten I put the camera in a zipped pocket of the jacket. The camera still worked normally after taking a beating like that though it was scratched and dented to hell.

18. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Send it to Olympus. Olympus repair is really good and in a lot of ways more easier to deal with than Nikon, Canon and miles ahead of Panasonic!

19. 250swb

250swb Mu-43 Regular

Glad to hear the good news tohara!

Steve

20. caranthir

caranthir New to Mu-43

Aug 15, 2012
    Hi,

Richard here from France. I just encountered the very same problem. Brought the OM-D back to the store yesterday, and their first move was to charge me, but they had a doubt, seeing the the camera is perfectly neat.
    I am going to call them tomorrow, reporting this thread. Must be what we call here "a hidden defect" which is covered by the warranty without time limit.

I hope this will end up with no charge, just the way it did for you.

Rich