Cracked OM-D Screen

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by NLowell, Feb 21, 2013.

1. NLowell

NLowell Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 25, 2012
    I was traveling today and when I lifted the tailgate of my Jeep my bag came tumbling out. Doh! I was hoping all would be safe but it looks like my flash somehow hit the back LCD pretty hard and put some cracks in it. Everything else seems to function but the screen.

Does anyone have any experience with replacing the screen on their OMD?

I have only found one place to buy a replacement screen and frankly $75 is a lot better than $1,000!
    Replacement LCD Screen for Olympus OM-D, E-M5, EM5, OMD

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
  2. NLowell

NLowell Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 25, 2012
    For those of you interested...the vendor is good and the replacement screen works great! I was also able to glue my "hairline" crack at the bottom of the screen which completely separated when I popped off the screen. Here are pics for proof. Cheers!

• Like Like x 5
  3. NLowell

NLowell Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 25, 2012
    Yeah, the one going to the camera body had a latch. The other two connecting to the board just slid in. The first time I plugged everything in I didn't have a picture on the screen but it was accepting touch input. I found that the larger cable (connected to the board) wasn't pushed in all the way. Once I corrected that, everything worked great! :thumbup:
  4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    You mean to tell me that Olympus wanted $1,000 USD to fix/repair :confused:
  5. symply photo

symply photo New to Mu-43

Jul 18, 2012
    Thank you for the thread. Having to go down this route as just smashed my LCD and being quoted 4 week lead time to get it fixed. Is there any other info you have that might be helpful ? My local mobile phone repair guru is studying these pics and going to do it for me so any tips welcome!!!
  6. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    I'm sure he was talking about vs. buying a whole new camera. At least that's how I read it.
  7. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Well, it's actually an OLED, not an LCD!
  8. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    OLED just means it is back-lit using organic LEDs. The technology used for the screen itself is similar, but with different back-lighting.
  9. Hassanet

Hassanet New to Mu-43

Jun 24, 2013
    Thanks for a useful post.

How did you remove the screen from the frame? (fig.1 --> fig.2)
    It seemed to be strongly sticked with glue.

Thank you very much.
  10. BadKarMah

BadKarMah Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2012
    Thank you for this posting. I dropped my camera bag 1 foot off the ground on to a carpeted floor. The screen died. I'm pretty disappointed that the camera is so fragile.
    I'm going to try to warranty it, but I have a feeling they might deny it.
    Good option... Was it easy to replace? I've taken electronics apart before, but I'm not that adept at it.
  11. NLowell

NLowell Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 25, 2012
    Yes, very easy. If you take your time then I would say 3/10 for difficulty. Just make sure to keep track of the small screws. The screen was held into the frame with a double sided adhesive/tape. You'll need this as well unless you're going to use something else so try to keep it in tact.

OLED- yes, thanks :) and yes, I was comparing the price to buying new. Given the bad stories of Olympus repair on the hairline crack issue, I didn't expect them to help me.

Good luck everyone :)
    • Like Like x 1
  12. moxime

moxime New to Mu-43

Aug 23, 2014
    Did you go through with the repair? I have cracked my screen. Tips are welcome!
  13. duplicationcube

duplicationcube New to Mu-43

Mar 16, 2015
    I wish I had read what you said about needing the double-sided tape. I have a new screen and it works great but it falls out of the frame pretty easily. I don't see how I could have possibly re-used the tape. I might end up super-gluing it. eek.
  14. lowlight

lowlight Mu-43 Regular

Jun 3, 2014
    its very easy to replace the screen, takes more time re assembling the frames and feeding the wire from the camera trough.

just finished fixing mine, and after 7 months or so i must say i have forgotten how great it is to review my images and use the menu on the rear screen and not in the evf :D

The seller listed here is out of stick and when i emailed them they said that the screen was not available.

i found my on ebay thanks to some members on this forum!