Cracked my skull open: Om-d A-OK

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Damien, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Damien

Damien Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 9, 2013
    If anyone wants to know how tough this camera is, I'm posting this from the neuro-surgery unit at a hospital recovering from a skull fracture and skull depression.

I was on one of those old counter-weighted fire escaped, and the rusty cable snapped, I fell maybe 15 feet onto concrete with a bunch of stuff falling on me.

Smashed my head open, a girl ran screaming over and held her jacket on my head to stop the blood flow, and I was trying to lift my body up slighty and yelling for someone to take the camera out from under me (priorities...lol).

All told, the OM-D is far tougher than I am. The damage is all cosmetic - the grip has some scuffs, a few dials have dents/scuffs, and the eye cup disappeared somewhere.
    But nothing else was damaged! I was so happy!

2. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Wow. That's better than the video of the dog running around with the Olympus camera where it gets bashed and ran under water and nothing happens to the camera.

3. abepak

abepak Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2013
    SFV, CA
    Good to hear that you're recovering... now you just have to post pictures of the camera when you can.

4. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Glad to hear no fatal damage to either you or the OMD.

I recently got a rude awakening about how dangerous photography can be if one does not think of everything that could go wrong when attempting to capture a shot.

I stopped on a largely uninhabited 2 lane country road near the crest of a hill to capture a landscape shot from my car. I situated my car more toward the center of the 2 lane roadway than it should have been, but I needed to put it there to get the shot while sitting in the car. Then out of the blue some kid in one of those low rider type Honda Civics came over the crest of the hill in the opposite direction and flew by my car at 90 MPH. He missed my car by about one inch. So I was once inch away from instant death from a head on collision!

We were both at fault - mostly me for being being too lazy to park the car safely off the road and getting out of the vehicle to take the photo. And of course the kid should not have been wildly speeding such that he had no time to notice and react to an obstacle in the road such as a car or deer.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Wow! So glad you are okay after that! Unlucky and lucky at the same time!

The OMD is obviously the least important possible thing here, but good to know it survived!

Hope you have a speedy recovery!

6. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Thank goodness you were not injured even more seriously. Wishing you a full and speedy recovery. :smile:

7. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Geez Damian... were you setting up to shoot at the time?

I ran out of the house recently, camera in hand, and hit an icy step... everything went upside down and I landed hard. E-PL2 was ruined (its at the Doc's now to see if anything can be made of it).

It can all change so fast. You've been very, very lucky to have survived that fall. Get well soon!

BD

8. xxjorelxx

xxjorelxx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    MD, USA
    JohnRae
    Ouch! That sounded like it hurt quite a bit. Glad the camera is okay but more importantly, glad that your in high spirits after the your accident.

9. mirrorless

mirrorless Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013
    Glad you're ok! And how sweet of the girl to help out like that. Kind Samaritan stories like these should be published more in our community newspapers.

10. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    I wish you a speedy recovery. The camera's side story is fine, BUT you are the story. Keep us posted on your success. -Chrome

11. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Thank goodness you are OK. Cameras can be replaced.

12. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    So glad you are OK! I hope you have a speedy recovery and that you can get out with the camera very soon.

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Dude, don't worry about the camera ... ever. You can always get another camera. I use to get a lot of cameras broken, no big deal, they're just a tool. Get well.

Gary

14. dlew

dlew Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    So-Cal
    Dennis
    Ouch Damien!! sounds like a serious fall. :eek: ... wishing you a speedy recovery!

15. armoredpig

armoredpig Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2013
    Yowch! Hope you recover quickly! Camera being ok is just a bonus--albeit a nice one..

16. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    hope you have a speedy recovery

17. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Good Lord - Forget The Camera!

What matters is that you come out of this in good shape! - I truly pray for your complete healing....

18. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Get well soon! I hope you have good insurance! :wink:

19. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Damien ..:smile::smile:
    I am more happy that u survived the crash and this skull # will heal soon and u will be back on ur feet soon. I dont really care about ur OMD mate . I care more about health of a forum member . Now on the lighter side .. Why dont u ask OLYMPUS to repair ur head and use same shock proof materia used in OMD ?:wink::wink::wink::wink:
    Anyway wish you a speedy recovery :thumbup::thumbup:
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

PA131716.

20. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Hi Damien,

That sounds like a horrible accident. I'm glad the outcome wasn't worse.
    Stay safe and get well soon.

Judy