1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Cracked Glass e450?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by aoifemcd, May 22, 2011.

1. aoifemcd

aoifemcd New to Mu-43

May 22, 2011
    Ireland
    Hi, I'm new here. I'm Aoife and I'm from Ireland

My problem is that I got an Olympus e450 for Christmas and a few weeks ago the screen cracked. Well, not the actual screen, its just the glass that covers the screen thats got a crack going along the middle of it in a straight line. I was told by a photographer friend that it could possibly be because of heat damage from a few really hot days we had here. Personally though, I believe it was dropped by a family member without my knowledge.

Anyway, my question is this: is it possible to replace the glass that covers the screen? its not causing any trouble to the camera and it can be used perfectly but I'd rather have it fixed if possible. I brought it back to where we got it and was told that the screen isn't covered under the warranty.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give!

2. MegaPixelTravel

MegaPixelTravel Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2011
    Canada
    Should it not still be covered under warranty? If it is I would send it in to Olympus (or their service centre for your area) to get it fixed.

3. aoifemcd

aoifemcd New to Mu-43

May 22, 2011
    Ireland
    Thanks for your reply MegaPixelTravel, I thought the same. But the shop we brought it back to told us screens weren't covered and that if it was sent away we would have to pay for the shipping and the repairs without knowing the costs in advance.

4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I don't have any personal knowledge about the e450, but on dSLR's the glass is easily replaceable at a reasonable cost.

G

5. aoifemcd

aoifemcd New to Mu-43

May 22, 2011
    Ireland
    Oh thats good to know GaryAyala, Thanks you. I've been looking online but haven't been able to find any. I think I'll try some of the camera repair shops around Dublin though, Thanks.

6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I would start by going to the Olympus web site and check for Authorized Repair shops in and about Dublin. Hey, my President was in Ireland ... apparently looking for his apostrophe. Thank you for your warm Irish welcome.

G

• Like Like x 1