1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

CPL for my 12-40?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by e_kjellgren, Jan 9, 2014.

1. e_kjellgren

e_kjellgren Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    Sweden
    Hi

Im going skiing in the alps in a couple of weeks and thinking i will take the 12-40 with me on the EM1.
    Do you think I should get a CPL filter? And if so, which one?

/Regards Evert

2. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    Hi there

I just went on a short trip (not skiing) and took the CPLs with me. They do help with reflections, foliage, and sky colour. It really depends on what is the subject of your pictures. Speaking of names, I use a Heliopan SHPMC (46mm) and a Hoya HD (52mm). The Heliopan is a bit more heavy, it eats more than 2 stops, but is easier to take on and off the lens. The Hoya takes just about one stop of light, but requires a bit of patience when unscrewing. They both clean very easily. Hope this helps and enjoy your holidays!

• Like Like x 1
  3. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    I suppose I might have gone a bit overboard, but I went for the B+W MRC Kasemann Thin CP. The Kasemann are the finest foils available for the circular polarizers, the thin is a "just in case" of the wide vignetting issues, MRC for the extra coatings and protection and B+W because I trust them. It was expensive, and although I don't use it often I like good stuff:biggrin: I've been known to utilize a good CP as a mild ND filter effect as well. Comes in handy at times.

• Like Like x 1
  4. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

Like dcisive I'm a happy user of a B+W KSM slim CPL filter. OK, it was expensive but the idea is that you don't need more than one really, just buy one for the biggest filter size of all lenses you own and use step down rings for others. A good polariser will first of all be effective (i.e. will have a more pronounced effect on your pictures), it will less likely degrade the quality of your pictures, and will not be as thick as some cheap ones so has less chances of vignetting on a wideangle lens. I sometimes use Oly 14-150 for summer touristy shots and a cheap polariser I once had not only vignetted but basically narrowed the field of view at the 14mm end. The slim one doesn't affect the field of view at all. A good polariser is also well sealed so it shouldn't start fogging between the two rotating surfaces, and between the lens and the filter. A cheap polariser may also add an unwanted colour cast to your pictures and will have less resistant coatings. By "good" I mean something from B+W, Heliopan, Marumi, top range Hoya etc. By "cheap" I mean random bits of glass with "CPL" written on the filter rim and, well, cheap ones. There are some middle range ones (basically half way price wise) that should be acceptable. But I'd say invest once and you won't regret it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    I use a Hoya HD1 Pro with my 12-40 and it's perfect - no vignetting at 12mm.....

• Like Like x 1
  6. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I still have my Kaseman MRC B&W CPL in 77mm size from my DSLR days. Works great, paeticulalry with snow, etc

7. e_kjellgren

e_kjellgren Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    Sweden
    Is it HD or PRO1, which one is better?

/Evert

8. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Y'all know that because there is no mirror in any of the light paths in these cameras, there is no need for a circular polarizer, right?

9. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    There can be a need for a polarizer, but due to thw CDAF, you dont need a circular pne compared to a linear. Nothing to do with a mirror. Linears are just getting harder to find now.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app

10. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    Yep. I managed to get a linear in 46mm (lot cheaper than the CPL, hence went for the Heliopan) but not for the bigger size (58mm actually).

11. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    • Like Like x 1
  12. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

Most of us do know that but as stated above, polarisation affects the Phase Detection AF, that's why traditional (not even D)SLR AF systems need a circular polariser (or a linear polariser with a quarter waveplate after it, correcting phase shift by 90 degrees - quarter wavelength - and changing polarisation to circular, so that the degree at which the light hits the bounce-off-mirror AF sensors doesn't affect AF)

I think due to volumes of sales of CPLs not sure if getting a linear polariser is even cost effective anymore, nevermind them starting to be harder to find. Even though E-M1's PDAF is on sensor, there's still the phase shift to compensate for, so a linear polariser may still affect its AF. Finally, you never know if you'll ever need to use your filter with a DSLR, so why limit yourself.

Anyhow - with CDAF only a linear polariser would indeed work and can potentially be had for less. I'm fine with circular ones.

13. rogergu

rogergu Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2013
    HD2 is the best from Hoya.

14. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    I have a few Marumi Super DHG filters and have been satisfied with them. Check out the lenstip reviews, there is the benefit of the brass filters rings that the B+W filters have but I can't really speak from having had any issues with the marumi filters.