1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

CPL filter in 43mm - any recommendations ?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Gwendal, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Hello - I find I use quite a lot my CV 40mm, among other things in museums (glass casings), and would like to use a CPL filter with this - which means the uncommon 43mm thread. There seems to be a Hama that gets bad reviews, and a Hoya ; anybody has any experience / hints / opinions / recommendations / pointers etc ?

2. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    May I ask why a Circular PL ? They're of no use on a mirrorless camera. So any PL, including linear will do.
    I've even wondered if adding the 1/4-wave slice to a regular PL isn't an optical disadvantage, if one can do without.
    43 mm is a diameter which has been around for a while, for instance for Leica M system, before the CPL were marketed mostly to suit AF SLR's.

I see B+W Schneider Optics - Home still makes both linear and circular Käsemann polarizers in 43 mm. Käsemanns are sealed, thicker and flatter. Drawback : they're seldom coated, so they need a lenshood.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The light is already so low in those cases, I can't see adding, what in effect is, a ND filter and pushing out shutterspeeds even longer.

... and x2 for linear with our cameras

4. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    If it is of any help, you don't need a circular polarizer with contrast autofocus - a linear polarizer works great and is recommended, as you can get a better one for less money.

5. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Thanks all for your answers ; I will finally go for CPL, simply because they seem to be much easier to find (and being well aware that technically circular has nothing over linear for an EP1 !), and Hoya - the Heliopan and Käsemann are a bit too expensive...