COVID travel: Photos of around where you live

Mu-43 Legend
In response to Robstar's thread about post about losing to take pictures of what you love, one thought occurred to me. I used to travel quite a bit, but haven't for a while. I miss it. Perhaps we can "house swap" with each other, and share photos of our local areas. It might seem mundane to us, but it might be interesting to others.

So, here is a thread to post such pictures. I've started it now, and will come back with some of my own pictures later, but please feel free to jump in.

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Here is my world this morning on Whidbey Island:

Breakfast:

50818545687_60c71ed1ac_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Foggy Morning

And now (a couple of hours later):

50818545967_c397e54941_o.jpg

Clearing View

Last edited:

Barking

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jeff
Groomsport, County Down
OI000830-02.jpeg

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
I was thinking this thread was going to be similar to the "Walks of the Pendemic" thread, but from the first two responses I realise it's not.
I've now g**gled Groomsport and Whidbey Island and discovered (for the first time) where they are.
Stunning locations and great to discover where you guys live.
Cheers and here's to enjoying many more new locations.

Last edited:

AlexMachine

Mu-43 Veteran
From our cabin. Finland, Ostrobothnia. -9C, snowing and the hole in the ice which I made and where I went dipping in the morning.
C9876F35-8F61-4E25-A05C-39877264A13C.jpeg

Mu-43 Legend
I have swam every weekend from june and intend to continue as long as I can make hole. Ice might be too thick after 1-2 months (30-40cm).
Wakes you up in the morning I’m sure! Can you climb out yourself? Does your skin stick to the ice at all when you climb out?

AlexMachine

Mu-43 Veteran
Wakes you up in the morning I’m sure! Can you climb out yourself? Does your skin stick to the ice at all when you climb out?
Yes I can climb out by myself, it’s only a meter deep. I float there a while and climb up. Tovel is set to the edge of ice so ice don’t stick to my hands and I have low neoprene shoes om my feet. And then to hot sauna. It gives you a quite nice ”kick” and endorphins. Also it replace some white fat with a brown one, which is healthier.

DefectiveMonk

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mark
Perhaps we can "house swap" with each other, and share photos of our local areas. It might seem mundane to us, but it might be interesting to others.
For clarification before I post anything:
  1. Are you looking for current images (taken recently) or just our local area regardless of time?
  2. What radius constitutes "local area"?

Mu-43 Legend
For clarification before I post anything:
  1. Are you looking for current images (taken recently) or just our local area regardless of time?
  2. What radius constitutes "local area"?
"local area" is up to you, but the idea is the area that seems mundane to you because you've been living in it, might be interesting to others. I would think current is better, as it would be an exercise to go out and find something.

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
Red Bluff at Black Rock, Victoria. This is about 1.5 kms from our home.

M115371.JPG

A silver gull at the same spot.

M115378.JPG

Jakob Malm

Mu-43 Regular
We have a small pond just down the street from where I live that I often walk past, but sometimes just walk down to, to get some air and perhaps take a picture or two. There are usually ducks in the pond, but I suppose that they have found somewhere a bit more warm and cozy now.

O1010539.JPG

O1260359-01.jpeg

Last edited:

Jakob Malm

Mu-43 Regular
Another place nearby that I sometimes resort to is Lisaberg, a small hill overlooking my home town, Jönköping. Today I walked up there during lunch. I brought a camera, of course -- this time my newly acquired E-M1 mk iii, with the Panasonic 100-300 mm.

I realized the other day that the camera doesn't have a built-in panorama function, so of course I felt a strong need to capture a wider field of view than what the attached lens allowed. I set the exposure and snapped a number of stills in portrait orientation while rotating from left to right in the scene. The photos were stitched together with Hugin, and then I cropped, added a frame and did some very small adjustments in gimp and darktable.
IMG_20210127_221726_258.jpg

I would like to have done the post processing on my phone, because transferring photos from the E-M1 mk iii is so simple and quick, but I didn't find a panorama stitching app that worked well enough. Hugin hasn't disappointed, the few times I've used it.

Last edited:

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
This is Auckland NZ.
We are running out of imported goods because these cranes are parked up. The excuse is COVID has stopped the guys who operate them from coming into the country....
As if they can’t train kiwis to operate a crane....
The ports of Auckland management must think we are all stupid people.
Pic taken with my m5ii and the kit 12-50mm EZ.
209CA8B5-5400-4CA8-A887-BF724C57DBA3.jpeg
It is a two shot panorama

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
Purely a coincidence, but just this morning I watched a TV programme (Border Patrol) here in the UK.
The episode was based in Auckland, mostly showing people trying to get drugs into the country, but there was one feature with an inspector checking out a couple of container ships and finally a huge, specially adapted ship delivering two enormous cranes to the port in order to speed up unloading of shipping containers.

llondru

Mu-43 Regular
Oh , I love this thread.
It's so true that the pandemic has forced us to appreciate more our sorroundings in terms of photographic interest.

I have a lot of those, but this is the one which means most for me.
First, because it's the town where I leave.
Second, because I didn't know this spot until I figured out that climbing a hill that I had never been before
And third, because I think it turned out pretty good!

50894555137_45acab0249_h.jpg
Argentona by Ferran, en Flickr

Rifleair

Mu-43 All-Pro
20210124_181346.jpg

This is Libby in the garden last weekend.

Latest threads

Top Bottom