Covert from Canon 50d to EM5 - Lens to consider

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pisonic, Sep 26, 2012.

1. pisonic

pisonic New to Mu-43

Sep 25, 2012
    hi folks,

just sold my 50d, 17-55 and 18-200 bundle and bought an omd-em5 wth 12-50 kit.

i am more into street, travel and children photography. so would like to seek out advise on what kind lens should i go for comparing to my old Canon setup?

thanks in advance.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Welcome to the wonderful world of FFF .. No not Full frame Fotography FAT FREE FOTOGRAPHY.. U must be feeling suddenly quite light after losing 1 kg weight suddenly ? Anyway jokes apart ,OMD is a wonderful camera and u wnt miss anything on OMD . Now lenses
    1) Kit lens a quite decent performer in day light and for macro but slightly bulky- its unto u to decide
    2) for Street photography - PL25mm 1.4and Olympus 45 mm 1.8 are my weapons . Oly 45 mm gives to access into people's personal space without being noticed and PL25 mm is a perfect FL for street photography
    3) Travel - U will need a wide lens so add Panny 14 mm 2.5 if on budget , Oly 12 mm F2 if liberal with money and buy Panny 12-35 f2.8 if plenty of cash floating around
    4) Children - I love OLy 45 mm 1.8 as portrait lens and this is one the best Portrait lenses available across all formats . Its ultra sharp and fast on OMD and costs only USD329 but if enough bank balance then I would recommend Oly 75 F 1.8 - a killer lens .
    5) Now u can toss between Panny 20 mm 1.7 and PL 25 , if u like fast AF and slight edge in low light then PL25 1.4 is better than Panny 20 mm 1.7 otherwise no reason to get 25 mm 1.4 over 20 mm .I have both and I reach more for 20 mm 1.7 as it gives me more FOV and its quite pocketable.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Welcome to the forum, pisonic!

Are you looking to cover the same range with zoom lenses, or are you also interested in primes (they are pretty great and small in m4/3)?
  4. vallver

vallver Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    I switched from a 60D to a OMD and my lens choice was:

Kit lens 12-50 - mainly because of its weather sealing and macro capabilities
    45mm incredibly sharp lens that focuses fast - perfect for your kids
    20mm sharp but slightly slow at focusing - perfect for traveling due to its size and sharpness
    14mm cheap but really good wide angle thats also good for traveling

So far I am really happy with the setup.
    I also own an Olympus 40-150 but I don't use it much...
    • Like Like x 2
  5. pisonic

pisonic New to Mu-43

Sep 25, 2012
    hi i am looking at different combinations and see how it goes from there... since now everything is lighter, i guess, i can carry more stuff...:smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  6. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    You'll probably want either the Oly 40-50 or the Panny 45-175 to match the range of your old system. Then, you may want to look at primes: 12, 20, 25 and Oly 45 are really nice. You can buy most of these on the buy/sell forum here. Also, if you want an UWA lens, look at the Rokinon 7.5. It's a really fun and easy lens to use with the E-M5.
  7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    The beauty of the :43: system is the number of affordable primes and the variety of zooms at different price points. Read through the lens forums here to get a feel for the different lenses then decide how much you want to spend. There are photo threads for all of the lenses, take a look at the photos.
  8. pisonic

pisonic New to Mu-43

Sep 25, 2012
    ok guys, i did some research, and i am looking at 14mm, 25mm and 45mm to purchase comparing to getting a 12-35mm....

any recommendations?
  9. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    I would say the 12-35 great lens and for lower light the 12 2.0 to 2.8 is not big enough jump for me if the 12 was a 1.4 I would be on it ! but its not ?

the 25 is a great lens and I do have that cause its a 1.4 and nice wide open ! but the 12-35 is nice wide open also but a stop is worth it for my needs and some others but others wont care about that to much ? so I would say ONLY if you know you need that extra stop ! otherwise skip it

the 45 seems like a decent price lens and at 1.8 and longer reach than the 12-35 its not a bad second lens

start with the 12-35 if you want a nicer lens to start with maybe add the 45 1.8
    the oly 60 mm macro is going to be a great lens when its out
  10. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I think it really depends on whether you value the extra speed of some of the primes or the extra versatility of the zoom. Is 35mm long enough, or do you think you'll need the extra range of the 45? Would you rather carry several items (e.g., 2 extra lenses in pockets or a bag) and change lenses whenever needed, or would you rather carry just the camera and one lens?

Only you can answer those questions for YOU.

As far as quality goes, The primes may measure sharper than the zoom, but in real world use the zoom is plenty sharp and contrasty. And it's build quality is excellent. It's also weather sealed, if that matter to you. None of the primes are.
  11. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Just to be clear, the 25 is two stops faster than the zoom. the 12 is one stop faster.
  12. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
  13. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    yeah I know :) guess I did not write my thoughts well can see that now :) have a grammar issue :) hahahaha so kinda meant that on its own ? but did not come out like that kinda all ran together :) good to catch though :)

and more meaning if one stop is worth it ? if that makes sense or maybe should say will that one extra stop matter from some of the primes that are in that range ? if not get the zoom ?

for me it matters but its not worth it for the cost of the 12 2.0
  14. pisonic

pisonic New to Mu-43

Sep 25, 2012
    thanks guys for the information... really appreciate it. decided to do prime... going for 25mm and 45mm... and maybe 14mm..tooo....
  15. RickyLee

RickyLee Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 21, 2012
    Manchester, UK
    Excellent Choice! Smart move.
    • Like Like x 1