1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Covers, jacket, hoods: lens & camera weather protection

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by BBW, Feb 23, 2010.

1. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

What do you do/use if you want to use your camera and the weather's bad?

I know there are various covers that are made but do they fit the :43:?

And better yet, have you made one that you think works well?

I know someone has suggested an umbrella but I think I'd need one of those umbrella hats to be able to make that work.:biggrin:

2. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BBW

That looks about my speed, thanks Rafael!

More spending options.:biggrin:

4. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Please don't shout at me for this............for years, when faced with possible bad weather I have carried two items to help:

1. A small foldup umbrella that if it rains I can stick the handle down the back of my collar and do my coat up to hold it in place, looks pretty stupid but it really works and keeps the camera and my head dry as well as fending off crowds - I currently use one of the Knirps range, they cost a little more but are strong, effective and fit easily in a camera bag/pocket.
    2. A plastic pedal bin liner! - you can tear a hole in one end, put the end of the lens through and hold in place using the shade, I can then use the open end to put my hands in to hold and operate the camera - less efficient than the umbrella but it works.

Those are my two low tech fixes that both work.

Remember though, condensation when going from cold to hot or hot to cold environments, try and let the camera/lenses clear effectively before taking images or you will have unwanted soft focus images.

Always wipe your cameras/lenses down after using any of the above to help avoid any surface condensation entering critical parts.

Here endeth the sermon

• Like Like x 4
  5. BBW

Ian I would never even think of "shouting" at you - however I am laughing as I imagine you with umbrella handle stuck down the back of your shirt!:rofl: I can imagine it does "fend off crowds" quite well!

Now can you explain what a
    is? Do you mean what we colonials call a "garbage bag"? And as handy as that might be...I don't have a "shade" but I can see how this would work. Do they make lens shades for these little lenses?

I'm still stuck on that image of either one of us with an umbrella down your back. What color is it?:biggrin:

6. flipGTO

flipGTO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Honestly, I try not to shoot in bad weather, but when I know there is a possibility of rain, I take the weather-sealed E-3 and one of the weather-sealed lenses (12-60, 50-200, or 50). Before purchasing the E-3, I used to carry a gallon sized zip-lock bag and stuck my E-510 in there and let the end of the lens stick out of the bag. Luckily, that only happened once at a football game and we left shortly after the rain started.

If you are really serious though, you could get one of the waterproof camera bags that people use to take underwater pictures. Also, I know Kata makes a hood for shooting in the rain.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran

There's always this: camo_umbrella_hat.

• Like Like x 6
  8. BBW

Exactly! I've got one on order! smile102. Paul, I knew I could count on you!:biggrin:

flpGTO, your suggestion of a plastic bag, along with Ian's "bin liner"....all good, cheap solutions. I will probably just end up staying inside - until my umbrella hat arrives.:rofl:

9. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran

Don't forget also, for times when the weather's hot, or you're ata game and need both hands free:

BubvgiskRhckkfofIqA2ffqro1_500.

:biggrin:

• Like Like x 4
  10. BBW

Absolutely!! A great way to stay hydrated while photographing far from home - or even if you're outside and too lazy to reach for that glass.:biggrin:

Paul, could you nip over to visit Ian sometime soon... I know you Europeans all live right next to each other.:wink:

(Disclaimer: In all seriousness, I give Ian and everyone else who comes up with a way to get the photograph they are after.)

11. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Whenever I stay in a hotel I grab the shower caps that they have in the bathrooms. These have an elasticated opening and are ideal for emergency use in wet weather. You can operate the controls and can see the screen quite easily through it.

They don't last long but, hey, they are free

IMG_0137.
    IMG_0140.

• Like Like x 4
  12. BBW

Now that is a seriously great idea, thanks Glenn_S!

13. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    You're welcome!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    See BB,

I am not the only person to use the plastic "garbage bag" / shower cap route - cheap, small and easily carried.

All of my lenses (14-45 & 45-200) came with shades and the 20mm I purchased a scew in metal 46mm shade for so all work well with the plastic bag fix.

The umbrella is actually bigger than the one shown above so covers me as well as the camera !

• Like Like x 1
  15. BBW

Yes, Ian - I'm going to try the shower cap route and look for a metal 46mm shade, too. Appreciate your suggestions and your being such a good sport about the umbrella ribbing!

16. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Always up for some fun - life is too short to be miserable and there are enough highly paid miserable "Barstewards" in the world already.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

I'm nipping over there this May and would love to meet some of these folk...I will be in London for 2+weeks with day trips and Amsterdam for 4 nights and three days, 2 days lost travel time between London and Amsterdam! dam! dam!

18. vincechu

vincechu Mu-43 Regular

:rofl:

Love how seriously the guy is posing ;-)

19. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    An American Express card in case I need to buy a new body... I have insurance for all my gear, if it gets wet and dies then so be it...

20. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Rather than the garbage bin liner or plastic shopping bag, you can use those small plastic doggy pooper bags (a minature version of the plastic shopping bag). They are the perfect size for the m4/3s cameras and you can loop the handles behind your ears to hold the bag in place when focussing. :rofl:

Cheers

Ray