1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Couple questions about Indoor/Flash photography with E-PL5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kgeissler, Nov 19, 2012.

1. kgeissler

kgeissler Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2012
    Rowlett, TX
    I took my E-PL5 to a party this weekend. The party was inside at a bar/restaurant. I tried taking pics with no flash, using a high (3200) ISO and 1/60th shutter speed, but the pics weren't that great. After trying that for a few pictures, I got the flash out. Initially most of the pictures were washed out by the flash, but then I changed the flash intensity. My question is this...is there some sort of "rule" on how much flash output to use at certain distances to avoid washing out the subject? I found myself having to take a picture two or three times, since I had to keep adjusting the intensity of the flash.

Second..when I got home and imported the pictures into LR, the histogram graph was mostly all on the right (which is understandable since the pictures were in low light). So I upped the exposure to balance it out, but then the photos seemed washed out. So this leads to my second question, how do you adjust the exposure in LR? Is it all just personal preference (or eyeballing the picture to look right) or is there a way a properly exposed picture should look?

TIA

2. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Strobist

I'm sure there are many others on the forum who can answer your specific questions better than I, but may I make a recommendation?

There's an excellent primer on the use of electronic flash in photography:

Strobist: Lighting 101

If you haven't yet visited the Strobist lighting web page I think you'll find it worth your time.

Regards,

Jim