1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Couple of strange lockups on EM1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by TomServo, Jun 25, 2014.

1. TomServo

TomServo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Brandon Jackson
    So this past weekend I was shooting the Superbike racing at Barber Motorsports park and used my EM-1 for the first time for motorsport photos. The camera did pretty good (see my other thread here https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=66140) but I had two lockups.

The first time i was shooting the grid on the track which essentially is shooting the riders as they are waiting in their positions on the track before taking off. No fast motion or high speed continuous shooting. I clicked one off and then the screen (EVF) froze. In this case i was able to turn off the camera and back on and it continued on just fine. This has happened once before since I've gotten the camera and i don't think too much of it as it is infrequent and it is a very complex camera and the occasional reboot doesn't seem out of line for a camera that is mostly computer.

Later that day though as the last race was beginning I fired a couple of shots as the bikes were doing their warm up lap and then the shutter started clicking at very high speed (like 8-10 fps). I wasn't holding down the shutter and no photos were actually being taken. Also turning off the camera did not stop it so i had to pull the battery. Overall the whole thing didn't last more than 2 or 3 seconds but this was a bit more concerning than the standard frozen screen. Has anyone else experienced this issue or heard of it?
    After putting back in the battery the camera behaved normally and I ended up shooting around another 300 or so images without incident. Everything does seem to be working fine again but if this type of issue is indicative of a known problem I want to get it taken care of before it doesn't self correct from a battery pull.

2. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    Are you at the latest firmware version? I used to have that issue but was fixed with firmware a few levels back

3. TomServo

TomServo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Brandon Jackson
    Yes, at 1.4 I believe or what ever one it was that came out a few weeks ago that was causing grief for the EM5 crowd. I'll have a look at see what's current to make sure.

4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I had exactly the same issue happen on my E-M5 some time back. It's never re-occurred. No lock ups so far on my E -M1. I think it's real-time software bugs - it's just bad luck when it happens to you!

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    While doing some aerial photography earlier this year, I had my camera more or less lock up while writing to the card after a series of burst and had to pull the battery. I've had something similar in previous cameras (E-5 and E-1). I think many of these issues are directly related to the memory card or during write operations to the memory card. I've never had this repeat after that first incident, but also haven't done such a protracted sequence of high frame rate shooting either. I suspect that when doing such shooting you need fast cards and mine are only SDHC Class 10.

6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi Ray,

Class 10 should be fine, UHS supposedly only helps for video.

Barry

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I think that's the general rule of thumb, but when you're shooting 10fps RAW until the buffer fills and starting again after/before the buffer is emptied, may also test the capabilities of the card etc. Remember, video is using only part of the sensor, but stills are using the entire sensor.