Couple of IR shots

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by BigTom, Oct 11, 2011.

1. BigTom

BigTom Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2011
    Cornwall
    Went on a rather murky stroll on Sunday afternoon with my GH2 and 9-18 for company. First play with IR...

b6510e166b9d7a6e1262733ba40f7cc5-d4cjniw.

3a3e7695b7a481a8e91b3593e4536092-d4cjnn4.

• Like Like x 4
  2. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    did you just use a filter?

3. BigTom

BigTom Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2011
    Cornwall
    Yeah, should have said - Hoya R72.

4. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I was on the impression that sensors had to be modified for IR photography? Or am I missing something?

Nice shots, BTW.

5. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    A modified sensor is faster as you don't need to push the IR through the IR cut filter, but the sensor will respond to IR. I have done this with Nikon DSLRs and an E-P1.

6. You can shoot IR images with Lumix G1 and G2 or GH2 with an IR filter. Due to no high pass filter and the sensor I have done many IR images even developped my own thechique to shoot 3D IR stuff with my G1.

7. Herb

Herb Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2011
    IR shots

you will be a lot happier with a camera converted to IR use only, however it costs a lot. See life pixel.com (livepixel.com?_ or maxmax they will put a filter in a camera for you.

8. The amount of IR I do for my useage it isn't worth the money to convert any of my old cameras to IR. I knew about that system years ago.

I carry less and less equipment during my travels. Just an extra lens in my purse next to my GH2 and two lenses don't bother me as weight. Carbon tripod sits mostly in the luggage, it is only taken out on a sunny goeargous clouds and water with greens IR shoot day, or an evening for night photography.

9. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Noob questions, but does the camera meter well with the IR filter? How does autofocusing work? I think I read somewhere that you need long exposure times..is this correct?

10. The IR filter works. The best is Hoya. I shoot on manual mode. Do not underexpose. Yes the meter works. It is long exposures that why you need a tripod and a less windy day. As for aurofocus, I tried both ways. The autofocus somethimes works. I focus, add the filter meter then click the shutter.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kaze

Kaze Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 9, 2011
    I was thinking of getting an IR filter of eBay, but then I found the IR conversion in Elements 10, these were all taken on my E-PL2, 14-45mm kit lens shooting in colour raw files and tweaking in adobe camera raw before converting in Elements. Am quite pleased with the results so far and will be experimenting further.

Now if I've done this right there'll be 4 images attached...

Attached Files:

12. Capt T

Capt T Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2010
    With the filter it will pop more, than just doing the conversion via software.

Epl1 kit lens B&W 093

13. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Cool....