1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Couple from today

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Johnytuono, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2012
    Lancs., UK
    Hi
    Fairly new on this site and thought I'd post a couple more photos taken today with my new Olympus 45mm lens. Critique good or bad most welcome...thank you.

[​IMG]"640" height="481" alt="Canal"></a>[/IMG]

[​IMG]"640" height="421" alt="Graffiti1"></a>[/IMG]

JohnyT

• Like Like x 6
  2. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    #1 OK; however, it has few elements to make the entirety of the image unique.

I like #2. It has the focal point in the far right with that white motif; however, the entirety of the image lacks punch. Rather than buttress the focal point, the reflection detracts . The whole image lacks contrast.

Having said all that, I would like to have seen more perspective from left to right, without the reflection, and with more panorama. B&W is OK; however, I would like to have seen more of the smattering of colors against a monotone backdrop a la' Maurice Prendergast's "The Grand Canal, Venice," except not as mosaic-like as that late artist's approach. The gritty texture of the concrete would be more vivid if the patina of the graffiti is allowed to make it its canvas.

It's a good start.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2012
    Lancs., UK
    Thanks OdBm for the informed reply. I was thinking about the reflection in #2 and do think that maybe a completely still water would have been better. The colours in the graffiti were red and green and stood out a bit so I was going to process this against a monochrome backdrop (but I don't know how to do it.........yet).
    Anyway you've given me a few good pointers...thank you!
    JohnyT

4. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I like #2--it works for me as an abstraction. I wonder if it would look better cropped to a square format, cutting off the left side?

• Like Like x 1
  5. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I wonder whether 2 would work better in colour. If the colours "pop" against a darker, dull background it might be a stronger image, and the reflection might work a bit better as well. I wouldn't crop straight off but I would try manipulating the levels to increase contrast to help bring out the colours as well.

B&W simplifies things in some ways which can enhance the image by making it stronger, but a limited tonal range with one or two strong colour elements standing out against the b background also simplifies things and can be quite strong. Some shots work better in B&W and some in colour so I wouldn't rush to convert to B&W just because you prefer B&W overall. Sometimes colour is the best option and with graffiti, where you often have a dull background and the artist has used strong colours for impact, you may well be better keeping the colours in order to keep that impact and processing to enhance that impact.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2012
    Lancs., UK
    Thanks for all the useful critique. Have re=edited the #2 photo , as in cropped the reflection out and increased the contrast. Hopefully its an improvement as all this pp is fairly new to me. The hard thing I find is knowing when to stop!
    Can't really do much about #1 as, as someone mentioned, it isn't really unique enough content-wise.
    Thanks everyone again.
    JohnyT

7. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Agree!