Coupla Qs re EM1.2: AntiShock vs Silent vs Normal

Imjinman

Mu-43 Regular
Hi

I have just bought the EM1 Mk2 and have downloaded the manual and have a few Q's on elements that are not clear to me. Please could you help.

P47: What are the pros/cons of shooting 'normally' vs anti shock vs silent. Why wouldn't one just use anti shock all the time (if you like the reassurance of the click)? Or even just silent all the time?

Thx!

alex g

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hehe - seems you have quite a lot of qs. :)

I think a search of the forum should supply the answers you need. :thumbsup:

Imjinman

Mu-43 Regular
That's great and clears a lot up- thank you...but not difference between CAF and CAF Tracking...or the unspecified issues with electronic shutter (but he uses all the time)

kbouk

Mu-43 Regular
Hi, I don't have the Mk II so I'm not familiar with that setting, but flash should work with Anti Shock, but not Silent.

This is not quite right, flash works on hotshoe but with limitation to shutter speed up to 1/50. Another limitation with silent shutter is the rolling shutter effect but with EM1.2 OLYMPUS made a progress and the results are way better than EM1.

Biro

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
Electronic shutter isn't advisable if you're shooting moving subjects becuase of what's known as the rolling shutter effect:

Rolling shutter - Wikipedia

BTW, I must say that I'm a bit miffed that one still has to download the manual on a camera that costs nearly $2000 U.S.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
This is not quite right, flash works on hotshoe but with limitation to shutter speed up to 1/50.

You are referencing the mk II model specifically? I ask because just last night I was playing around with silent mode on my mk I and from what I had read online "they" implied flash would work at 1/13. Well I mounted my trusty old FL-36 and couldn't get the flash to fire at any setting. I didn't try it with the little LMx flash that came with the camera.

kbouk

Mu-43 Regular
Yes, 1/50 for the EM mkii. I think it was 1/13 with my old EM1 and only manual but I'm not sure.

barry

Super Moderator
Yes, 1/50 for the EM mkii. I think it was 1/13 with my old EM1 and only manual but I'm not sure.
Hi, are you sure you're not thinking of the read-out speeds (which don't usually mean you can use flash at those speeds)?

Afaik, the only electronic shutter that flash can work with are global shutters, which are rare.

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
Hi

I have just bought the EM1 Mk2 and have downloaded the manual and have a few Q's on elements that are not clear to me. Please could you help.

P47: What are the pros/cons of shooting 'normally' vs anti shock vs silent. Why wouldn't one just use anti shock all the time (if you like the reassurance of the click)? Or even just silent all the time?

Thx!
I nearly exclusively shoot in silent low speed burst even for sport and have posted a lot of images that show how negligible to non existent rolling shutter effect is on the mk2
Shooting sunsets not far from a major airport this week and even propellers look ok in the most
The only time I've gone to normal shutter has been under artificial lighting where banding was obvious

Imjinman

Mu-43 Regular
Hiya, many thanks. My girls love horse riding and so I will test out. Thanks!

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
I have the anti-shock turned on for all my mu43 cameras. There can be this interaction at shutter speeds up to 1/100 or so between the shutter reset and the IBIS that causes minute motion blur effects. The anti-shock prevents this by using an electronic first curtain around these speeds. I've never heard of any reason not to use it all the time so I just leave it on.

mrjoemorgan

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Joe M

just looking at this. It mentions:

“Low speed: Focus, exposure and white balance are recalculated for each shot in the sequence.
High speed: Focus, exposure and white balance are calculated for the first shot in the sequence only. All subsequent shots will use the initial readings.

So if you are shooting someone running towards you and you use High speed sequential, the first shot will be in focus, but the rest will be out of focus because focus has been set at the original position. Use Low speed instead.”

is that the same if using High with CF + Tracking?

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
just looking at this. It mentions:

“Low speed: Focus, exposure and white balance are recalculated for each shot in the sequence.
High speed: Focus, exposure and white balance are calculated for the first shot in the sequence only. All subsequent shots will use the initial readings.

So if you are shooting someone running towards you and you use High speed sequential, the first shot will be in focus, but the rest will be out of focus because focus has been set at the original position. Use Low speed instead.”

is that the same if using High with CF + Tracking?
Yes. The use case is that it applies C-AF and tracks while you half-press, but locks when you release shutter.

Latest threads

Top Bottom