Countdown to G2 and G10 has started

Herman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Acc to rumor these pans will be announced soon.
Being in need of new gear I do look forward to the new pan cameras.:smile:

Have a nice day.
Kind regards, Herman

F1L1P

Mu-43 Veteran
G2 pics and specs:

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wc...Partner=7000000000000005702&surfModel=DMC-G2K

G2 with new lens
fxroug.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DMC-G2K

12.1 Megapixel Interchangeable Lens System Camera
•Touch 3.0-Inch Free Angle LCD
Intuitive operation such as AF/Shutter/Playback by touching the screen
•One-touch AVCHD Lite Movie Recoding
Records using AVCHD Lite to capture HD, 1280 x 720, 60p movies with movie button
•1.44mil-dot equivalent Super High Resolution
Live View Finder with eye sensor
Shoot the exact image the camera sees without switching the setting of the display

F1L1P

Mu-43 Veteran
and pics of G10:

G10-11.jpg

new lens 14-42?

G10-9.jpg

LCD is fixed :(

G10-8.jpg

true or hoax, it seems they've decided to strip down G1 and GH1 models

P.S. maybe this deserves a separate thread...

F1L1P

Mu-43 Veteran
and bump with comparison of GF1, G10, G2 and GH1 :
http://tinyurl.com/y95q63b

qp09pf.jpg

touch shutter, ISO 6400, only 202,000 dots LVF on G10 (1,440,000 dots on G1), LVF magnification down from 1.4x (G1) to 1.04x...enjoy in specs. for now, one word: disappointment

hanzo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Chan
NOOOOOOO !!! :eek:

G2 pics and specs:

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wc...Partner=7000000000000005702&surfModel=DMC-G2K

G2 with new lens
fxroug.jpg

DMC-G2K

12.1 Megapixel Interchangeable Lens System Camera
•Touch 3.0-Inch Free Angle LCD
Intuitive operation such as AF/Shutter/Playback by touching the screen
•One-touch AVCHD Lite Movie Recoding
Records using AVCHD Lite to capture HD, 1280 x 720, 60p movies with movie button
•1.44mil-dot equivalent Super High Resolution
Live View Finder with eye sensor
Shoot the exact image the camera sees without switching the setting of the display

Ranger 9

Mu-43 Regular
true or hoax, it seems they've decided to strip down G1 and GH1 models

Doesn't seem that way to me... G2 looks like G1 with addition of 720P, 6400 top ISO, and touch screen (big woop that).

G10 is lower spec'ed, but that makes sense as they need an entry-level model to compete with the Olympus EPL1. I wonder if that's also the motivation for shaving the 14-45 lens down to 14-42; the EPL1 seems like a very appealing package at its $600-with-lens street price, so Pana would have some serious cutting to do to get near that.

Seen this way, it seems like a very logical product mix:

GH1 remains the top model, for people who want 1080 video; GF1 fills the "premium compact" segment. (I wonder if it might be joined by a lower-cost "GF10" eventually...?) The G2 covers people who want a less-video-centric high-end camera, and the G10 is the budget choice.

If the new top 6400 ISO implies improved noise performance at 1600 and 3200, I'll be taking a very close look at the G2; that's really my only major gripe with the G1.

My key disappointment so far: Pana does not seem to have followed Olympus' lead and built wireless flash control into the body. I had hoped that the fact that Oly debuted this feature on their "entry-level" EPL1 would force it to become a standard feature.

Herman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Hey guys thanks for the replies. I sit back and wait for an official announcement from Pan. Any ideas about prices? (suggested retail prices)

Comments are welcome, thanks.

Have a nice day.
kind regards, Herman

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Let's keep this thread as is. It's based on speculation.
When the cameras are released we'll make separate threads.
Shooter

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Welcome to the iPod generation :rolleyes:

I won't dismiss it until I've tried it.

Cheers

Brian

oris642

Mu-43 Regular
I'm underwhelmed as well. Touch screen just doesn't do anything for me. Just more grease spots on the LCD screen.

Have you actually used one? I did a couple of years ago, when I had a Panasonic FX-500 with a 3" touchscreen (it was Panny's first touch screen on a camera). It was actually better than I thought it was going to be. But it does leave fingerprints.

Having said that, I prefer the touch screen on my iPhone and having to clean it regularly, than no iPhone touchscreen at all. So I guess we have to see how it really is in practice.

Boyzo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Underwhelmed is the word..

and I am in agreement with most here and as a G1 user (very satisfied) the G2 offers nothing to me.

To a new buyer you get movie and a few things so its a great 1st off buy for a new m43 user.

The G1 (and G2) sahre the same body and controls and allow very quick access to a few settings it handles well as a body etc.

However as a new E-P2 user I am thinking (what was all the Oly posters admiration for the Pen) its not till you use one you realize how attaching it is.

It has IBIS, retro look, competent LCD, a good feel in handling .. you get Movie
the Fab. EVF a nice Kit zoom and GREAT jpegs, controls that are recessed avoiding inadvertent resetting.

Without the EVF its so compact and mates with the Pany 20/1.7 like a dream

To entice me with the G2 it needs improved body ergo alt to the rubber finish and better noise performance from the Sensor.

Armanius

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Muttley
I'd love to see a GH1 with IBIS. But I don't think Pany will ever go that direction with IS.

Ranger 9

Mu-43 Regular
I'm underwhelmed as well. Touch screen just doesn't do anything for me. Just more grease spots on the LCD screen.

Although I noted on the description page (before Pana pulled it) that the supplied accessories include a stylus. So I guess you don't have to touch it. (Although I'll bet those stylii will be an early nominee for Most Frequently Lost Photo Accessory of 2010...)

texascbx

Mu-43 Veteran
We need touchscreens, GPS and a web browser in our cameras now. And Facebook.

The funny part or unfunny part is we will probably have all this soon enough anyway.

chalkdust

Mu-43 Regular
I prefer easily accessed controls, like dials, and switches, over hard to navigate menus. I have never used a touch screen on a camera before, but I can imagine a touch screen design that makes the many digital options easy to find and use.

Razer

Mu-43 Regular
I personally think the touchscreen could have a few advantages, mainly for when you want to set selective focus.

You could also set any iso & aperture with just 2 presses quickly, without having to use the dial or buttons.

Tbh i never expected the G2 to offer all that much more over the G1, otherwise they would kill sales of the GH1, which hasn't been out all that long.

Some people are moaning & were expecting the G2 to better the GH1, that was just never going to happen.

All the latest tech will go into the GH2 towards the end of the year, with a price to match aswell.

I'll be keeping my G1 until the G3 as i said before, the G1 is still a superb camera & will be for the next year or so & by which time the G3 should be a worthy upgrade, with much better AF, better ISO handling, better image quality from Jpeg, ect ect, which unlike the G2 is only going to be slightly better on ISO only.

Until then i will continue to be happy with both my G1 & GF1 well into 2011.

Latest threads

Top Bottom