Couldn't resist rebate, VF-3 on the way.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by PaulGiz, Jan 25, 2013.

1. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    $159.95 from Adorama (yes, I clicked links from this forum) - $80 Rebate, net $79.95. Will come in handy for nature stuff with long lens in bright sunlight.

Listen, for full pop VF-2 and VF-3 are probably low bang-for-buck, but for $80 I'll stuff it in my bag, even if I only use it occasionally.

2. Strick

Strick Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    I did the same thing. I figured for the price with rebate I might as well try it out.
  3. cprevost

cprevost Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    I really enjoy my vf2 on my ep3. Much more than I thought I would. I think it's a great investment. The nice thing about it is that when you upgrade bodies you can just take the viewfinder with you.
  4. kgeissler

kgeissler Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2012
    Rowlett, TX
    I also did the $80 rebate. Got my VF-2 about 3 weeks ago and am really happy with it. Everything is so much easier to see through the viewfinder than on the screen. I got the VF-2 for $200, so after the rebate, paid only $120. :)
  5. Thinh Ly

Thinh Ly Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2012
    Washington D.C.
    I got the VF-3 one or two weeks ago. It's not bad at all, I don't see why it gets such little love.
  6. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    Same here.

I had the VF-2 before, but didn't like it - don't know why. I did use it with an EPL1, so the camera was a bit slow (relatively speaking) I sold it.

I now have the VF-3 and it's a great match for my EPM1.

I submitted my rebate almost three weeks ago and they still haven't received it yet. I called today and they said that it takes about three weeks to receive rebate information.
  7. justin4192

justin4192 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    Fairfax, VA, USA
    Thanks for the heads up, I wasn't aware this deal was on. I'm considering getting the VF-3 for my E-PM1 as a companion to my E-M5. My wife often uses the E-PM1 and when I showed her the VF-3 mounted on an E-PM1, she thought it looked ugly. To me, it's about functionality, but I also want her to use it too. At this price, maybe we'll try it out.
  8. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    I virtually ** never ** shoot ** anything ** serious without the VF2, even on tripod. I may switch back and forth, but the VF2 is invaluable to me.

Nice find!

9. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    FYI rebate ends tomorrow jan 27 has to be postmarked by feb 15. I got an hld-6 grip for my omd and vf-2 for epl5 will get $130 back.
  10. wallyrulz

wallyrulz Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2011
    Y'all are killing me!
  11. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I can't live without my viewfinders. I love my VF2 so much that I got a second one for my other body. I use mine 99% of the time.
  12. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    I can see why. The VF-3 arrived today, I slapped it on just to get a feel for it. Very nice!! I can use it with my eyeglasses, no strain.

Focusing is easy and with 5X magnification is a snap. Framing is also nice since you aren't being distracted by too much going on around the screen.

I'll take my photowalk tomorrow and see what's what. So far, no regrets at all!

13. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Very happy with the VF-2-arrived last week. Amazing little add on.

14. justin4192

justin4192 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    Fairfax, VA, USA
    I got my VF-3 as well and it is better than I expected. I haven't used it a whole lot yet, but I did some direct comparisons to my E-M5 and there isn't a huge difference. It seems a lot of people didn't like the VF-3 compared to the VF-2, but I'm pretty happy with it.
  15. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    VF3 is just fine for what I use it for, framing and sometimes focus.

Resolution is good enough so I don't see pixels or jaggies.

With the diopter set at the middle, I can use my glasses and see full frame and info. If I'm in bright light, I can move diopter all the way up, push my glasses up and get my eye right up to the cup to prevent leakage.

Image is bright, contrasty. Colors are weak, but I never use any finder to judge color, because I'm there and can see the original before I decide to shoot. Olympus has the best Auto WB I've ever seen, and shooting RAW means I can adjust in post without losing anything.

16. seoulman

seoulman New to Mu-43

Jan 15, 2013
    Bay Area
    Was torn between VF-2 and VF-3 but with $80 off the VF-2 was more palatable

Black VF-2 goes great on my EPL5 black. Beautiful EVF. Resolution is amazing if youve only used bad ones before. Dont have to take your eye away from the viewfinder. Like the big round eyecup actually.

** If youve never shot with an EVF you really dont know if youll like it or not or what your missing.

But a full price u wonder if you should get a used OMD. I got the EPL specifically to add and remove flash/evf/etc. i only wish now it had a good fill in built in ...
  17. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    The VF-2 is pretty good, but $80 for the VF3 is an awesome deal. An EVF is really useful accessory, but it's also (usually) an expensive one.
  18. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Unfortunately I missed this deal (priced now at $159 - no rebate), and I am really curious why there is such a big price difference between the VF-2 and the VF-3! I like the characteristic of the FV-2 accepting the eye cup (EP-9), but that alone is not worth $90 IMO.
  19. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The screen in the VF2 is a higher quality unit than the VF3. I applaud Olympus for giving two options! One thing I can say is that the VF2 is worth the cost. If you want to save some on the VF2 look for a refurbished, they are usually the same price as the VF3 new.
  20. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    The viewing area of the VF3 is somewhat smaller (10%?). It's noticeable if you switch from one to another, but one quickly gets used to it. I have switched from the VF2 to the VF3 because it's smaller in size and it locks.

By the way, the Style1 or Style2 option for the EM5 EVF display is also about the same size as the VF3. These styles add a black margin to both sides of the view.