Could there ever be a focal reducer optically designed for MFT?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Jüri, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Jüri

Jüri Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2013
    Tartu
    Jüri
    First of all, I'm very aware of the focal reducers with MFT mount. But as far as I understand, all of those are just full frame to APS-C focal reducers with MFT mount. So unlike an APS-C sized sensor, MFT with a focal reducer still only utilizes about 3/4 of the image created by a full frame lens.

The thing is that I'm really fond of old full frame lenses and I feel like I can't use them to their fullest with any MFT camera and focal reducer combination. I don't care much about corner sharpness whereas I'd like to achieve the shallowest DoF possible. Under these conditions it seems inevitable to give up MFT for an APS-C mirrorless camera.

What I'm asking is whether or not it would techincally be possible to create a 0.5x focal reducer in addition to the 0.71x ones that are currently available? And how likely is it that someone will ever produce and sell this?

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Metabones and Brian Caldwell's past comments have implied that it is possible, but that quality would suffer significantly.

3. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    I thought the ones designed for black magic cameras had a smaller reduction multiplier, but wouldn't work with oly /pan because of interference with the shutter. I do remember someone asking if the gm1 would work because of the different shutter, but I never saw an answer.

Also fotodiox has talked about releasing a 0.5x focal reducer, but after they got it wrong with the vizelex, and again with the excell, I'm not holding my breath.

4. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    I think the black magic camera's also have a smaller sensor than m43.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.