Could there ever be a focal reducer optically designed for MFT?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Jüri, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Jüri

Jüri Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2013
    First of all, I'm very aware of the focal reducers with MFT mount. But as far as I understand, all of those are just full frame to APS-C focal reducers with MFT mount. So unlike an APS-C sized sensor, MFT with a focal reducer still only utilizes about 3/4 of the image created by a full frame lens.

The thing is that I'm really fond of old full frame lenses and I feel like I can't use them to their fullest with any MFT camera and focal reducer combination. I don't care much about corner sharpness whereas I'd like to achieve the shallowest DoF possible. Under these conditions it seems inevitable to give up MFT for an APS-C mirrorless camera.

What I'm asking is whether or not it would techincally be possible to create a 0.5x focal reducer in addition to the 0.71x ones that are currently available? And how likely is it that someone will ever produce and sell this?
  2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Metabones and Brian Caldwell's past comments have implied that it is possible, but that quality would suffer significantly.
  3. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    I thought the ones designed for black magic cameras had a smaller reduction multiplier, but wouldn't work with oly /pan because of interference with the shutter. I do remember someone asking if the gm1 would work because of the different shutter, but I never saw an answer.

Also fotodiox has talked about releasing a 0.5x focal reducer, but after they got it wrong with the vizelex, and again with the excell, I'm not holding my breath.
  4. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I think the black magic camera's also have a smaller sensor than m43.