1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Could Sony be dipping a toe in the 4/3 pool? Rumoured 4/3 sized compact.

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Vinpocetine, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Vinpocetine

Vinpocetine Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2014
  2. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    More weight in m4/3 just adds momentum and choices. M4/3 being less proprietary than other formats makes sense as an easier point of entry for a new IlC by additional manufacturers. If Sony's next m4/3 sensor is a leap forward, why not put it in their own body.

3. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Isn't the Mu43 really more of a mount system than it is a sensor characteristic? Given it is a different size and format, there are lots of difference sized sensors that don't get different "system" names. When I first read this thread I assumed it was a lens mount departure and that I could use my Oly lenses on a Sony body (without an adapter), but it sounds that, as if I read further, it is just a new sensor size.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Sony and Panasonic are the two most innovative camera companies these days, and they will often introduce similar models. Panasonic introduced the LX100, so it's no surprise that Sony would respond.

5. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Not Sure I agree with "the two most innovative" part but the rest is true.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    It will be interesting to see what lens they would create for it. Personally though I'm hoping Olympus comes out with something since I greatly prefer the Olympus handling.

7. Vinpocetine

Vinpocetine Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2014
    Kinda, that's why I called it a 4/3rds sized compact in the title and not a m4/3 camera :).

4/3rds / micro 4/3rds is a proprietary system/mount that uses a 4/3" sensor size. In other words, anyone (including Sony) can make a camera with a 4/3" sensor in it, but for them to make a micro 4/3rds camera that takes micro 4/3rds lenses, they'd have to be part of the micro 4/3rds group or whatever.

However, since Sony makes sensors for Olympus micro 4/3rds cameras, it's interesting that they're (allegedly) coming out with a compact with a 4/3" sensor. That would mean that they have a greater interest in making 4/3" sensors all of the sudden, beyond that of just selling the sensors to Olympus... it's good news for micro 4/3rds if the dominant sensor maker out there is suddenly going to start selling their own camera line with a 4/3" sensor in it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Really? I can't think of too many recent innovations that haven't been Panasonic or Sony. I guess Canon with a 50mp FF sensor, but the two companies that consistently push the envelope of whats available and create game breaking, innovative cameras are Sony and Panasonic. I guess now that cameras are consumer electronics, its the consumer electronic giants that are leading the push.

9. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Nothing personal intended so lets just agree to disagree.:drinks:

10. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I agree to disagree! But I don't really know what I'm talking about so it doesn't really matter. :) I'm really a Nikon guy and decided to buy into Oly because I used to love the Olys (had an OM-D at one time years ago), and then bought into Sony because I knew that Sony made a lot of the Nikon sensors. I think that includes the 36MP sensor that the D8xx uses (like my D800).

11. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I'm a Nikon guy as well. Yes many are made by Sony, some with some minor spec changes for Nikon as I understand it.