Could I use an old vivitar 3900 flash with my brand new GF1

malabrosse

New to Mu-43
I just got the GF1. Just in time for the marriage celebration of a nephew. Using my old vivitar 3900 would be great for this occasion but is it possible? I certainly do not want to damage my brand new GF1!

G1 User

Mu-43 Veteran
I just got the GF1. Just in time for the marriage celebration of a nephew. Using my old vivitar 3900 would be great for this occasion but is it possible? I certainly do not want to damage my brand new GF1!
Don't risk it and get a Wein Safe-sync hotshoe to hotshoe, then you can use any older flash, hotshoe or corded....about $50.00 I think...

bilzmale

Mu-43 All-Pro
Good advice - flashes for digital typically have a trigger voltage of around 6 volts. Older (film) flashes may be 100s of volts.

This site has lots of info. It lists the Vivitar 3900 at 9.9V but also says the G series use 6V.

malabrosse

New to Mu-43
THanks for the reply...

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I will use the Wein Safe-sync solution... Do you know if there is a way to connect the EFV over it? It looks like the signal for the screen is going through the connector on the side not through the flash shoes.

bilzmale

Mu-43 All-Pro
Do you know if there is a way to connect the EFV over it? It looks like the signal for the screen is going through the connector on the side not through the flash shoes.
I doubt it - the hotshoe provides mechanical stability for the EVF. Any home made adapter would look and be rather clumsy imho. The evf connector seems to be a proprietry pin - probably unobtainable after market except as a mic connector.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom