Could I use an old vivitar 3900 flash with my brand new GF1

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by malabrosse, Jul 28, 2010.

1. malabrosse

malabrosse New to Mu-43

Jul 24, 2010
    I just got the GF1. Just in time for the marriage celebration of a nephew. Using my old vivitar 3900 would be great for this occasion but is it possible? I certainly do not want to damage my brand new GF1!

2. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    Don't risk it and get a Wein Safe-sync hotshoe to hotshoe, then you can use any older flash, hotshoe or corded....about $50.00 I think...

3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Good advice - flashes for digital typically have a trigger voltage of around 6 volts. Older (film) flashes may be 100s of volts.

This site has lots of info. It lists the Vivitar 3900 at 9.9V but also says the G series use 6V.

4. malabrosse

malabrosse New to Mu-43

Jul 24, 2010
    THanks for the reply...

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I will use the Wein Safe-sync solution... Do you know if there is a way to connect the EFV over it? It looks like the signal for the screen is going through the connector on the side not through the flash shoes.

5. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I doubt it - the hotshoe provides mechanical stability for the EVF. Any home made adapter would look and be rather clumsy imho. The evf connector seems to be a proprietry pin - probably unobtainable after market except as a mic connector.