Could I get some critique on some interview shots I did

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Jayradikal, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Jayradikal

Jayradikal Mu-43 Rookie

May 10, 2012
    Hi guys,

I've thrown a few photos up on here: reddit - Imgur

I did this shoot for a mates TV show, just documenting the interviews for web content and that sort of thing.

Can I please get some feedback on these as i'll be going back to the same venue and shooting more bands for the tv show this weekend, so same circumstances as the shoot I'm posting here, but this time I want to be more prepared and make improvements.

Also, I want to know if you guys think I've layered the post on too much?
    One thing I will be taking next time is my flash to bounce off the walls or ceiling, and i suspect the handheld light will be used again when they're filming. Thanks for your time and critique !
  2. a_foolishman

a_foolishman Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    Kelly Graham
    Highlights are badly blown.

To me the people appear to have a plasticky appearance. I'm guessing that this comes from some combination of too much PP/noise reduction.

I'd work on my exposure if I were you. It seems like their was a lot of light around for the video cameras so you should be able to get decent shots.

It's ok to have a lot of black shadows as long as people's faces are well exposed.

Not bad for a first outing.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    The style I don't mind. I don't think you need to take the edges off the work. In fact you could use it to your advantage. I would do a search for the photography of Chip Simmons--you colors reminded me of his work and his work is a little funky.

I like the last one the best. It is a nice portrait. I like the guy shoving the mic in the musician's faces as it tells a story and the light in the background is a nice touch. A pity you got rid of the color. I would not be afraid of the bad lighting, but learn to use it for your advantage.

I guess my biggest beef is you are off to the side. When you do engage, like with the last image, your images are good. This is to do with your approach. You may find before and after the interview is going to be your time. You can use it to break the ice, but don't break the conversation--you may have to keep that going yourself almost like taking over from the interviewer. If you are doing this with the interviewer, then cooperate with him to let him know what you need--you can work in a tag game. Engaging the subjects also makes them more relaxed with you. And if you are not having fun, they will show it--and it is tough to relax when the shoot os not relaxing, but you need to at least appear that way--I have my own portrait persona.

But it is a tough situation as people are not used to having a camera suck in their face and for someone to take lots of pictures. You need to work fast and keep taking images to find that magic moment.

Ultimately it is alway about people. The viewer is interested in people. We want to see something that appears on some level to be personal.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Jayradikal

Jayradikal Mu-43 Rookie

May 10, 2012
    This is amazing feedback haha, better than I expected! I appreciate it all very much and will take all of it on board.

I've been using program auto for most of the shots and various lens' like the 9-18 for the wider ones, 20mm for the more upclose ones. I've also got a 14-45lumix but didn't make much use of that one.

The interviewer was right in the middle/infront of the couch where the subjects were, so i could go either side, but there were also 2 guys filming next to the interviewer, and the girl with the handheld light (the film guy specifically wanted the handheld light pointed in a certain spot for the effect of his filming, so i was working around that). The ones where I can get infront of the subject are better I find. I have a few, of the guys just standing around while we were setting up and chatting. I'll try and upload those when I get home.

I'm going to reprocess my images again with the raw files and see if i can take a more simplle approach to it so i dont blow out the colours or anything like that. Any filtering and whatnot can be applied later to the requirements of their website.

I'm at work at the moment so can't reply properly but I'm grateful for all your input, thanks alot
  5. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Everyone else has hit on stuff, I'd just add that I'm not sure I'd be using your focal length. There's nothing particularly compelling about a photograph of someone interviewing a couple of guys on a couch. You end up with multiple subjects, no central focus to the image, and a lot of uninteresting stuff thrown in (video camera, light, interviewer, wall receptacles). I'd go for a short portraiture length, a single subject well-placed into a third-zone in the frame, and maybe try to catch the microphone if you want to emphasize that it was an interview. A faster lens might help you boost shutterspeed and cut out the blur that gives the "I took this on an iPhone" look.

The black and white is working a lot better for you than the colour shots; however, it looks a bit like a computer "convert to greyscale" single-button conversion more than a good b/w filter.
  6. Jayradikal

Jayradikal Mu-43 Rookie

May 10, 2012
    Hey guys,

I've reapproached my pictures, done some more cropping to emphasize things, chilled out on the highlights and post so its looking more natural, and also more personal angles as opposed to sides of the couch.:
    Interview pics take 2 - Imgur

Out of my lens I have, I'm using a 20mm pany, 14-45 lumix, 45-175 lumix and oly 9-18mm. I didn't use my 45-175 for this shoot, i think i purchased it after the this but i'll give it a whirl this weekend.

Thanks guys
  7. Reactions

Reactions Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    just a basic comment - choose the post people's facial expressions that are complimentary .

you posted some unflattering photos of the interviewer and the guest.

A quick google search for interview photos should serve as a good example of what to capture next time.
  8. Jayradikal

Jayradikal Mu-43 Rookie

May 10, 2012
    I see what you mean, Reactions. thanks for the tip. I'm going to go and read up more on this type of photography, i prefer to shoot street/urban stuff so people up close is kinda new to me. thanks!
    • Like Like x 1