Could Canon release a Four Thirds Sensor in their future compact system camera?

kaloksi

New to Mu-43
We are all aware Canon has already released a four thirds camera, the Canon G1X.

There are ongoing rumors that Canon may come out with a Compact System Camera around August this year and that they may in fact use the same sensor as found in the G1X.

Also the image quality of the Olympus OM-D EM-5 seems to be better than found in Panasonic cameras so questions abound on who really made their sensor being Canon one of the contenders.

Found an interesting post that mentions this points and can be found here at this link.

What are your thoughts on this?

everythingsablur

Mu-43 Veteran
I don't see why Canon would release a micro 4/3 sensor based product as they are already producing a product with a sensor slightly bigger than our's, in addition to their more standard APS-C and FF sensors. They are also not part of the 4/3rds consortium, which is somewhat required license to produce compatible products. There is little for them to gain financially by joining up honestly. They'd be more likely to go as Nikon did and create yet another while system so as to get you into their eco system. If they control the bodies and the lenses, they get all the money.

kaloksi

New to Mu-43
Hi,

Agree on that but by four thirds refer to only the sensor size, not the lens mount.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The G1X sensor is not really 4/3s; just close (slightly larger). I don't think there is any evidence that Canon is or will be doing something that would be compatible with :43:. Just wishful thinking.

kaloksi

New to Mu-43
But the question arises on who made the OM-D EM-5 sensor as results do not look similar to any Panasonic in market.

The GH2 sensor is also not 4/3s in strict terms.

photoSmart42

Mu-43 Top Veteran
We are all aware Canon has already released a four thirds camera, the Canon G1X.

There are ongoing rumors that Canon may come out with a Compact System Camera around August this year and that they may in fact use the same sensor as found in the G1X.

What are your thoughts on this?

Setting aside the m43 vs. 4/3 sensor points others are trying to make (of course Canon isn't going to join m43! 4/3 is an aspect ratio, not a format), yes I think the G1X represents a transitional product for them to test the market for a slightly larger camera that offers a larger sensor than their current high-end P&S line. It's not too far-fetched to imagine the same sensor in a similar sized body with interchangeable lenses.

meyerweb

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Setting aside the m43 vs. 4/3 sensor points others are trying to make (of course Canon isn't going to join m43! 4/3 is an aspect ratio, not a format), yes I think the G1X represents a transitional product for them to test the market for a slightly larger camera that offers a larger sensor than their current high-end P&S line. It's not too far-fetched to imagine the same sensor in a similar sized body with interchangeable lenses.

This.

I fully expect an MILC from Canon using the same sensor (or at least the same size sensor) as in the G1x, but the likelihood that Canon would adopt the m43 specs for lens mount and other things is as close to zero as it can be. Canon will certainly use a mount and lens communication protocol that will allow their existing EF mount lenses to be adapted to the new line, just as m43 cameras allow 4/3 lenses to be adapted.

Latest threads

Top Bottom